Connecting three table tops together. - Router Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 8
 
Default Connecting three table tops together.

Here is my plan I'm not a wood working an and really don't know much. I am making a desk but buying most of it individually through ikea.

Everything should line up correctly but if you looked at the picture you'd notice 7 blue spots and 2 green spots.

Blue = Table Top legs I will buy

Problem... Green is gonna be some brackets but I don't know what brackets. There are suppose to be legs there to hold the table tops up but instead I wanna put some type,of bracket there instead of legs to have leg room. i need to know what bracket I should use? I found this ( can't post URL it's called a solid brass table keeper from Rockler )but don't know if it's the correct thing I want. My goal,is to make it some don't have to put a leg where the green spots are and make sure it doesn't bend down so it feels like one big desk instead of three separate ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	142705  

DarkBlade2117 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 8
 
Default

I would post links to the exact parts but can't post them until 10 post.
DarkBlade2117 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,660
 
Default

His reminds me f my old computer desk . It was something like IKEA I believe but I liked how it was two pieces instead of three . The centre was the cut point and it was connected with a piece of particle board underneith . The sides were storage

I donít always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 254
 
Default

I surmise you intend this to be a desk/computer table. If it were me, I'd put diagonal braces under the points where your green dots are. The wide part of the brace should be right under the desktop and span from the wall to about 8 inches from the front edge of the desktop. The narrow part, of course, should be on the floor and span about 8-10 inches from the wall. If you wanted to be fancy, you could cut an arc instead of a straight line from top to bottom. Either should give you adequate knee and toe room and hold the top rigidly enough to carry the weight of the desktop, the computer and other things that may be there.

I see there are legs along the back edge but it might also be necessary to install a ledger board under the back edge of the desktop to fasten it to the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	legs.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	142881  

DaninVan likes this.

Last edited by 163481; 08-21-2015 at 06:10 PM.
163481 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,660
 
Default

I found a pic of my old desk to give you an idea . You can't really see the centre where the cut is though . I love corner desks as I find there more ergonomic



DarkBlade2117 likes this.

I donít always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate

Last edited by RainMan 2.0; 08-21-2015 at 06:02 PM.
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 13,834
 
Default

How about having an Aluminum extrusion frame welded up? Say 2" sq. tubing, into a double 'L' shape?
The problem is (as I see it) we have no idea of what the underside looks like. Is it one contiguous flat surface, or are there frame pieces in the way?
Screwing up into the underside of the top is really risky...you might come through the top face! And probably not all that strong either.
That's why I suggest the one piece welded frame. If the legs are attached to the frame, you could have a party on it.
Is it going into a corner (two adjacent walls)? You could add a tremendous amount of support by having the back edges resting on wood ledgers/cleats, attached to the walls.
DaninVan is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 8
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninVan View Post
How about having an Aluminum extrusion frame welded up? Say 2" sq. tubing, into a double 'L' shape?
The problem is (as I see it) we have no idea of what the underside looks like. Is it one contiguous flat surface, or are there frame pieces in the way?
Screwing up into the underside of the top is really risky...you might come through the top face! And probably not all that strong either.
That's why I suggest the one piece welded frame. If the legs are attached to the frame, you could have a party on it.
Is it going into a corner (two adjacent walls)? You could add a tremendous amount of support by having the back edges resting on wood ledgers/cleats, attached to the walls.
It's all one flat surface on the bottom
DarkBlade2117 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 8
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchuck View Post
I surmise you intend this to be a desk/computer table. If it were me, I'd put diagonal braces under the points where your green dots are. The wide part of the brace should be right under the desktop and span from the wall to about 8 inches from the front edge of the desktop. The narrow part, of course, should be on the floor and span about 8-10 inches from the wall. If you wanted to be fancy, you could cut an arc instead of a straight line from top to bottom. Either should give you adequate knee and toe room and hold the top rigidly enough to carry the weight of the desktop, the computer and other things that may be there.

I see there are legs along the back edge but it might also be necessary to install a ledger board under the back edge of the desktop to fasten it to the wall.
Looked up,diagonal brace and a few things came up. Could you link me to what you are talking about? I know the dimensions if needed.

Edit- Pictures just showed up
DarkBlade2117 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 13,834
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBlade2117 View Post
It's all one flat surface on the bottom
Seriously?! No crosspieces anywhere? You are either very lucky, or not! There should be something to add stiffness to the tops...
What are the tops made from; solid wood or particle board of some type? How thick are the top?
If the tops are solid laminated boards of 1" or thicker, than you just might have won the lottery.
DaninVan is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Country: United States
First Name: N/a
Posts: 8
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninVan View Post
Seriously?! No crosspieces anywhere? You are either very lucky, or not! There should be something to add stiffness to the tops...
What are the tops made from; solid wood or particle board of some type? How thick are the top?
If the tops are solid laminated boards of 1" or thicker, than you just might have won the lottery.
IKEA has kindda a do it yourself desk but I'm doing a modded do it yourself.

I can find out material but it's 1 3/8 inch thick
DarkBlade2117 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Router Table for Incra LS Positoner completed! Michael H Table-mounted Routing 35 03-19-2015 12:40 PM
Converting a Bosch RA1180 to a table LagunaPaul Table-mounted Routing 31 08-11-2014 09:45 PM
Ready made Router Table Tops BeauxTi Table-mounted Routing 2 08-04-2012 11:20 AM
Custom Ellipical Poker Table AzViper Show N' Tell 29 01-21-2012 02:41 PM
For Sale: RS 500 Router Table - routertabledepot.com sheridan Woodworking Classifieds 1 08-20-2009 09:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome