Geometry question - Router Forums
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Woody
Posts: 44
 
Question Geometry question

I want to make some various sized wooden knobs by drawing a circle, marking evenly spaced points around the circumference, drilling holes at those points and cutting the whole thing out on the band saw. Can any one tell me an easy way to mark those points evenly on various sized circles? Thanks in advance for your help. Woody
woody1401 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Registered User
 
schnewj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 2,323
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1401 View Post
I want to make some various sized wooden knobs by drawing a circle, marking evenly spaced points around the circumference, drilling holes at those points and cutting the whole thing out on the band saw. Can any one tell me an easy way to mark those points evenly on various sized circles? Thanks in advance for your help. Woody
I'm not quite sure I understand what the end result is that you are looking for from your description. What do the holes have to do with the "cutting out"?

In any case, decide how many holes you want on the circumference, divide that number into 360°, use a protractor to mark the points on the circumference, and your done.

360°/10(holes)=36°

Find the center of the circle, then mark out the points using the protractor based on the number of holes and the angles you determined.

If you are cutting the knobs out to be hexagon, septagons, octagons, etc., just connect the dots.

Hope this helped. If not post a description of the end result configuration and we may be able to get you there.

Hi, sorry I missed you. I have gone to find myself, but if I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.

Tool Storage Bait and Tackle, LLC.

Last edited by schnewj; 10-25-2015 at 05:05 PM.
schnewj is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Registered User
 
boogalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Al
Posts: 478
 
Default

How many holes (3, 4, 5) or print this.

http://www.routerforums.com/attachme...1&d=1445807579
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 star.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	159818  


Al B

Last edited by boogalee; 10-25-2015 at 05:19 PM.
boogalee is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 1,424
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnewj View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand what the end result is that you are looking for from your description. What do the holes have to do with the "cutting out"?

In any case, decide how many holes you want on the circumference, divide that number into 360°, use a protractor to mark the points on the circumference, and your done.

360°/10(holes)=36°

Find the center of the circle, then mark out the points using the protractor based on the number of holes and the angles you determined.

If you are cutting the knobs out to be hexagon, septagons, octagons, etc., just connect the dots.

Hope this helped. If not post a description of the end result configuration and we may be able to get you there.
Here is a pretty good video showing how the gentleman made a 5-lobe knob
The 5-lobe knob seems to be the most common. He's making a specific size. but if you want a different size, follow the procedure that he shows and adjust the dimensions accordingly. In laying out the centers of the scallops, the compass should be set to (1.176*radius) - you would have to adjust the diameter of the Forstner bit used to make the scallops and the washer used to round off the corners.
ksidwy likes this.
tomp913 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Woody
Posts: 44
 
Default

Thanks everybody. Those answers take care of my question beautifully.
Note to SCHNEWJ I want to make star knobs similar to the ones illustrated by Tromp 913
woody1401 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Registered User
 
old coasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 3,425
 
Default

Question. I need to make knobs with the threaded shaft fixed in the knob, rather than the knob turning on the shaft. What is the best thing to fasten the shaft to the tee nut?
old coasty is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered User
 
TenGees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Paul
Posts: 1,530
 
Default

I use this to divide circles for making whirligig propellors. I center the wooden circle (hub) on the pattern and mark the edges at the number of divisions that I want (up to six). It might be useful for your application too, Woody.

http://www.routerforums.com/attachme...cledivider.pdf
firstmuller likes this.
TenGees is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Registered User
 
schnewj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 2,323
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coasty View Post
Question. I need to make knobs with the threaded shaft fixed in the knob, rather than the knob turning on the shaft. What is the best thing to fasten the shaft to the tee nut?
5 minute epoxy would probably be the best bet. Less "bulky" then the next method.

Another method is to use a carriage bolt through the top of the knob and use a nut to lock it in the underside.

Hi, sorry I missed you. I have gone to find myself, but if I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.

Tool Storage Bait and Tackle, LLC.
schnewj is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Registered User
 
schnewj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 2,323
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1401 View Post
Thanks everybody. Those answers take care of my question beautifully.
Note to SCHNEWJ I want to make star knobs similar to the ones illustrated by Tromp 913
Perfect!

Great video showing how to make the star knobs. However, as a personal choice I would probably use plywood instead of particle board.
tomp913 likes this.

Hi, sorry I missed you. I have gone to find myself, but if I return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget.

Tool Storage Bait and Tackle, LLC.
schnewj is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 1,424
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coasty View Post
Question. I need to make knobs with the threaded shaft fixed in the knob, rather than the knob turning on the shaft. What is the best thing to fasten the shaft to the tee nut?
Red Loctite is probably the easiest (less messy) way to do that.
firstmuller likes this.
tomp913 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello with a router fence question nevertoosafe New Member Introductions 9 11-02-2014 03:22 PM
Question About This Forum Jerry Bowen Tools and Woodworking 4 03-30-2012 10:46 AM
New user question for dado cuts with a router pb2375 Starting Off 6 07-13-2008 05:31 PM
DC Question angus Lobby 3 03-31-2008 08:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome