MLCS Router Bit Quality - Router Forums
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By JIMMIEM
  • 5 Post By Stick486
  • 1 Post By Cherryville Chuck
  • 1 Post By bryansong
  • 2 Post By Herb Stoops
  • 1 Post By Gaffboat
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Contributor of the Month
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 869
 
Default MLCS Router Bit Quality

Just wondering where MLCS bits come in on the quality scale? I have mainly used Infinity Bits.
bryansong likes this.
JIMMIEM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 24,682
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
Just wondering where MLCS bits come in on the quality scale? I have mainly used Infinity Bits.
For those that think w/ their wallets.... greatest thing since sliced bread...
for those that prefer quality... using them just once was enough...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Contributor of the Month
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Jim
Posts: 869
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
For those that think w/ their wallets.... greatest thing since sliced bread...
for those that prefer quality... using them just once was enough...
Thank You....it's the recycle bin for the MLCS catalogue.
JIMMIEM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,870
 
Default

Jim, Infinity is an excellent choice. They score very high. MLCS not so good as Stick says. This is a bit test that is 10 years old now and things may have changed some but I expect that it is still pretty reliable. http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/t...routerbits.pdf One of the surprises for me was that Rockler did well. I would have expected them to be close to MLCS.

If you plan on using a bit a lot then it makes sense to get a good one. Roundovers and straight bits you might as well buy the best. They aren't that expensive to start with. Some architectural molding bits can be really expensive and you may use them very rarely so it's hard to hard to justify shelling out over $100 for one. In those cases it may make more sense to go with something like Yonico (Precision Bits) for under $30.
bryansong likes this.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Registered User
 
bryansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Country: United States
First Name: bryan
Posts: 718
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryville Chuck View Post
Jim, Infinity is an excellent choice. They score very high. MLCS not so good as Stick says. This is a bit test that is 10 years old now and things may have changed some but I expect that it is still pretty reliable. http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/t...routerbits.pdf One of the surprises for me was that Rockler did well. I would have expected them to be close to MLCS.

If you plan on using a bit a lot then it makes sense to get a good one. Roundovers and straight bits you might as well buy the best. They aren't that expensive to start with. Some architectural molding bits can be really expensive and you may use them very rarely so it's hard to hard to justify shelling out over $100 for one. In those cases it may make more sense to go with something like Yonico (Precision Bits) for under $30.
Charles, I have been wondering the same thing as Jim. Thanks for the link to the review, I've save it.

Jim, thanks for asking the question.

Bryan
Cherryville Chuck likes this.
bryansong is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 7,347
 
Default

I use some MLCS bits for occasional cuts. They aren't that bad. If I was doing production work ,I wouldn't use them, but like chuck said,doesn't justify buying a $100 bit for occasional cuts.
Most of my bits are Infinity or Freud,or Rockler.
Herb
kp91 and artman60 like this.
Herb Stoops is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Registered User
 
richjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Rich
Posts: 235
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
I use some MLCS bits for occasional cuts. They aren't that bad. If I was doing production work ,I wouldn't use them, but like chuck said,doesn't justify buying a $100 bit for occasional cuts.
Most of my bits are Infinity or Freud,or Rockler.
Herb
I have the MLCS 66 piece set that I purchased a few years ago. Every bit I have used has worked as well as my more expensive bits. I am an occasional woodworker so these bits work for me. I would invest in high quality bits if I was doing a lot of routing. I have roundover bits from CMT that I have been using for many years and they still work great.

Rich

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you take advantage of the laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself - Dave Barry
richjh is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Gaffboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Oliver
Posts: 2,075
 
Default

I don't do production work and I seldom rout a lot of hardwoods so I've had no issues with the MLCS bits I've purchased. Having said that, I do prefer the bits made by Whiteside or CMT.
Herb Stoops likes this.

Dragons slain. Damsels rescued. No reasonable request refused ... unless the dragon's really big.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~Oscar Wilde

http://profhenrys.blogspot.com
Gaffboat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making a Flat-Bottomed Candy Dish using a Router learnexperience Table-mounted Routing 2 12-09-2018 08:51 AM
Intro and question john spies New Member Introductions 20 12-08-2018 11:08 AM
Selecting the router bit for a given application Chris_L Router Bits - Types and Usage 4 02-13-2012 08:49 AM
MLCS Circle Jig larryc Table-mounted Routing 3 01-30-2012 10:44 PM
Ridgid Router Easy Above Table Bit Change shawnpatt Table-mounted Routing 1 03-06-2009 04:58 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome