First, read an excellent discussion from this Forum started by MEBCWD about his Dust Separator Comparison
While he was doing his work, I was confronting a relevant problem in my shop: how to best collect the dust generated by my DeWalt 735 planer. That benchtop planer is excellent (I'm on my 2nd unit after wearing out the 1st), and has an onboard blower that ejects the dust from the unit. Sounds good ... but it does not play well with dust collection. In fact, if I connect it to my Oneida V3000, it will overpower the suction from the V3000's 3hp motor and fill the HEPA filter in relatively short order. That's not good.
I experimented with connecting the DW735 to the ductwork of the V3000, but not turning on that system. That actually worked a little better than when I turned the V3000 on, but it still didn't work well. The DW735 actually blew dust into every pipe in the dust collection system; it ejected dust through any open gate (I did typically have my table saw gate open, and it filled the cabinet of the saw!). Using the existing ductwork didn't work well ... I needed an independent system.
Research led me to believe that I really needed to collect the dust more than I needed to suction it out of the unit with its powerful onboard motor.
Since I like my current Oneida cyclone, I ordered their Dust Deputy 10 gal. Deluxe Cyclone Separator Kit
through Amazon. I paired that mini-cyclone not with a shop vac, but with a 3 micron bag
Reviews of the Powertec bag had some buyers attaching the bag directly to the DW735, but that meant frequent emptying of the bag through it's small opening. Using the cyclone separator in tandem seemed like a good idea.
After 1 day's use ... it's a good idea. Definitely filled up the 10 gallon can several times, and the Powertec bag kept most of the dust from leaving the system. It does seem, however, that the bag adds some back pressure to the system; there was a noticeable (though small) increase in the shavings left on the workbench that ejected from the front of the DW735. In addition, when I did a blade change, I found that there were more shavings than normal collected in the interior of the unit.
In total, however, collecting the dust in the 10 gallon can was much better than the previous system using the existing duct work and overpowering my V3000.
The unit came with a slip on hose for connecting the cyclone to a tool; that hose slipped off easily. I used some tape to hold it in place for this inaugural use; now I need to get better connectors for both ends of the hose to make it as portable and easy to use as possible.
The bag did not inflate as it might appear in the photos; I leaned the partially inflated bag up against the adjacent router table.
I don't think this is a perfect system (not a HEPA rated bag at 3 microns & the DW leaving more shavings on the cutting edge is worrisome), but it's a material improvement.