another plan is Purple-K (PKP)...
but straight water is usually not the best plan of the week... or is the LAST order of business.....
but then there's sawdust fires which are a Class A
Sawdust is highly combustible.
There are a lot of components like electrical wiring, a short spark from metal objects colliding and chemicals during woodworking projects that can quickly ignite a sawdust pile.
Sawdust burns hot and with very little smoke -- combustion is pretty thorough, so you just get to see heat waves and material blackening.
This is why they are often detected a day late and a dollar short..
I had one in my TS. Smelled it, there wasn't any smoke. Definitely scary.
I'm sure glad I found it before quitting time.
Open it up, spread it out, and wet it down. Outdoors if at all possible.
Fill the DC collection drum w/ water.
One in the TS is another whole ballgame..
Like I said before..
Skip the floor sweep plan...
Sawdust fires can indeed be hard to fight. First you are dealing with a very combustible product. Second if it's conveyed to a dust collector with all the ingredients for a fire and deflagration. All that is needed is a spark to complete the Fire Triangle. As per NFPA 664, a listed Spark Detection & Extinguishing System in the conveying system is a very effective tool in preventing this type of fire. Third, saw dust is typically stored in a silo or bin with enough volume that it is hard to extinguish any embedded embers or fires not matter how good your sprinkler or deluge system, because the water will tunnel through the material instead of wetting it thoroughly and consistently. And fourth, with enough combustible dust disbursed within the vessel, as you empty it you create an increasingly explosive atmosphere . Firefighters are at risk of injury when opening a dust collector or storage vessel as they are adding oxygen to a combustible dust cloud with an embedded ember.