Fire in the hole!!!
New experience today...
Hand routing a 3x6" cavity in nixie boxes (process posted elsewhere on the forum)...
Have done 100's of these without a hitch for several years, thx to help from Detroit Mike, Harry & Pat Warner's bases.
The cavity is routed in 3 - 1/4" deep passes with a 1/2" carbide spiral upcut bit using a DW618 w/vac attachment hosed to a dust deputy attached to a shop vac, which captures 95% of the dust and chips into the 5 gal bucket. Always been very efficient.
As I finished the last pass, I notice a smoldering wad of sawdust/chips in the corner of the cavity, not only smoldering but burning, as in fire!
Immediately dug it out, tossed on floor and stomped it out. checked the vac bucket, 3/4 full and no sign of fire...of course immediately dumped the bucket into a trash bag and tossed it outside.
Imagine, had the vac sucked up that small bit of burning embers into the bucket, could have spelled disaster if it had gone unnoticed, end of day, flame in bucket of sawdust, etc.
No clue the cause, the wood is hard (African teak, aka Iroko), the bit was reasonably sharp, perhaps a bit of hard mineral deposit in the wood causing a spark to ignite?
Going forward, the vac bucket will get emptied at the end of a days work, burning embers or not...and a couple of extra fire extinguishers are being added to the small shop.
Anyone else had a similar experience?