Yes, Those push-in connections were a fad for a few years, and a very bad idea for longevity. A point connection like this will fail when heavy current flows through it very quickly.
Some of the newer outlets now have the push-in hole, but the wire gets clamped inside when the screw is tightened. This is a much better design. It saves the time of wrapping the wire around the screw, but it does require the screw to be tightened.
My son bought a house in very bad need of a rebuild, and he had planned for this before purchase. You would not believe the crazy wiring in this place. We have now replaced almost all of the original wiring. Things like wires twisted together and just taped and hidden inside the walls were found when we pulled the old sheet rock off the beams. One 15 amp circuit was discovered to be supplying almost every outlet in the house, etc. The house was added onto and I think they just attached the wiring in the new addition to whatever wires they found when they added on. Construction was one
surprise after another too. there was only one duplex outlet in the kitchen above the counter. That was, until we tore the back splash above the counter off, and found two more hidden behind it. They had never cut the holes in the replacement back splash for these two outlets, so the poor woman who raised her family in this house only had one outlet to use for making meals for many years. She must have been a Saint, for all that she must have put up with while living there.
There had been a bedroom behind the kitchen at one time, but the wall between it and the kitchen had been removed to provide more space for dining. But the beam across where this wall had once been was sagging about 2" when my son bought the house. It became one of the first surprises that we found when we began remodeling. When we opened this beam area up, we discovered that they had just cut the studs 4" below the ceiling and then boxed in the remaining stubs in with sheet rock. No additional strengthening material had been added. There was no real support beam in there at all. We had to put up temporary supports and remove this mess completely. Then we installed an I beam and boxed it in. So the ceiling is now flat and the upstairs isn't about to fall into the kitchen any more. The house is now about 80% rebuilt, and done right as best as possible this time, but we are still finding surprises in it.
Central North Carolina