Thank You Charley for the reminder!
I have since moved to a newer home, and replaced the old electric skillet! New home, new skillet...
Also my first order of business was to inspect all of the electrical outlets, switches, breakers, etc. I replaced the outlets and switches. Everything looked OK, but some were mismatched, in color.
I worked with my father in his HVAC and electrical business as a young man. I became very aware of the dangers that could occur from faulty, and loose connections.
I have two sons that are on their own now and we always have discussions about personal safety, in the workplace, and especially at home. Now they look for potential hazards, and have found many. Some were obvious, some were not!
Be safe! We only have one body!