Drill Press Cabinet Changes - Router Forums
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 1,424
 
Default Drill Press Cabinet Changes

I made a cabinet to go under my drill press, but wasn't real happy with the way that the drawers turned out. http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-t...eft-overs.html This finally bothered me to the point that I bought new slides and started making changes. On the original build, I made the newcabinet deeper but used the same slides so that the full-extension slides weren't letting the drawers come all the way out of the cabinet. I'd been thinking about this for a while and finally found a set of slides that I thought would work - this is the second cabinet recently where I've either used slides that I had on hand or made the cabinet before checking on what was available. Anyway, I'm only replacing two of the three drawers, the top drawer will be replaced by shallow trays which I think is going to be handier for storing drill bits and so forth.

My wife gave me a set of the Kreg supports for Christmas and I wound up jury-rigging them so I could install the drawers on the new slides without taking off the drawer fronts. The cabinet parts were spaced up off the floor using a strip of wood, the drawer was spaced up using a 1/4" strip on the floor and then the drawer was "clamped" between the strip on the floor and the Kreg supports - this allowed me to pull out the drawer far enough to put in the front and center screws in the drawer slide parts. Removed the supports and strip, adjusted the drawer in the slides and put the rest of the screws in. Did the same to the top drawer, spacing it up off the top of bottom drawer - the Kreg supports really came in handy. Tomorrow I'll work on the three trays for the upper space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4586.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	254073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4587.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	254081  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4588.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	254089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4589.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	254097  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	254105  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4591.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	254113  

tomp913 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Moderation Team
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 5,631
 
Default

What do you think about the Kreg jigs? I have seen them, and my sweetie spotted them in the Lee Valley Catalog she was looking through.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
MT Stringer is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,916
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
What do you think about the Kreg jigs? I have seen them, and my sweetie spotted them in the Lee Valley Catalog she was looking through.
I've been noticing those Kreg jigs at our WP dealer also , and wondered how they help ?
I do quite well with a piece of wood as a spacer and a clamp

I don’t always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 1,424
 
Default

Mike,

I've got a couple of projects in line that will involve a lot of drawers - I'd seen the ads for the Kreg supports and they seemed to be just what I was looking for which is why I got them for Christmas. I guess the way I just used them wasn't exactly how they were supposed to be used, but they certainly worked OK. One of the jobs will be a cabinet with face frame and drawers and they seem to be set up pretty much to do that - I'll know more once I actually use them as designed.
tomp913 is online now  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,916
 
Default

Interesting

chessnut2 and Roy Drake like this.

I don’t always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,916
 
Default

Well dam , I wish I knew about this about three months ago

Roy Drake and furboo like this.

I don’t always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 1,424
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
What do you think about the Kreg jigs? I have seen them, and my sweetie spotted them in the Lee Valley Catalog she was looking through.
Mike,

I started thinking more about your question last night, watched Kreg's video and actually read (rather then skimmed) their instructions https://www.kregtool.com/webres/File...Jig-Manual.pdf

Without having a cabinet to install drawers to look at, the one thing that seemed to jump out at me was how to install multiple shallow drawers, especially if the drawer was close to or narrower than the width of the support - I've got a cabinet that I'm getting ready to start assembly, no drawers but that doesn't matter, and I'll try a dry run through installing a run of drawers in the cabinet to see how that would work.

If you look at their "Operating Instructions" (above), the method they describe for installing the bottom drawer is how I do mine, with the spacer strip lying on the floor and sticking out of the cabinet. Once the bottom drawer is installed, I use a strip on top of the drawer side to space up the next slide (Maybe it's just me, but I like the slide kind of centered on the drawer). Once the cabinet slide is installed, a second strip that gives the spacing between the drawers is used to locate the drawer, the lower drawer used to support the upper out of the cabinet while the drawer slide is being attached - this is the strip shown in the fourth photo of my posting.

I can see how the jig would work well for cabinets with face frames, and maybe OK for a frameless cabinet where the drawers are spaced further apart than the depth of the support, but I'd have to look a little closer if the drawers were shallower because the slide would maybe interfere with the location of the support for the drawer above it.

Hope that this helps.
MT Stringer and RainMan 2.0 like this.
tomp913 is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Country: Canada
First Name: Keith
Posts: 1,151
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan 2.0 View Post
Well dam , I wish I knew about this about three months ago

https://youtu.be/kbpw20MDhAc
Likewise...just finished installing an IKEA kitchen with a zillion drawers and pulls.

Had to make up a wood jig for the holes. Without a steel guide of some sort the wood holes eventually enlarge and go out of whack.

OK, fess up...which one of you clowns stole my sig? It was right here a second ago.
cocobolo1 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Registered User
 
vchiarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Vince
Posts: 3,456
 
Default

I have a set of the Kreg slide/drawer supports - when I replaced all the builder grade drawer slide with full extension slides in my kitchen (we have a lot of drawers) a few years ago, I found the supports cumbersome. I use wooden spacers cut to the right height to set the slides accurately.

Some folks call me Vince - other folks call me...........
vchiarelli is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:44 PM
Moderation Team
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 5,631
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp913 View Post
Mike,

I started thinking more about your question last night, watched Kreg's video and actually read (rather then skimmed) their instructions https://www.kregtool.com/webres/File...Jig-Manual.pdf

Without having a cabinet to install drawers to look at, the one thing that seemed to jump out at me was how to install multiple shallow drawers, especially if the drawer was close to or narrower than the width of the support - I've got a cabinet that I'm getting ready to start assembly, no drawers but that doesn't matter, and I'll try a dry run through installing a run of drawers in the cabinet to see how that would work.

If you look at their "Operating Instructions" (above), the method they describe for installing the bottom drawer is how I do mine, with the spacer strip lying on the floor and sticking out of the cabinet. Once the bottom drawer is installed, I use a strip on top of the drawer side to space up the next slide (Maybe it's just me, but I like the slide kind of centered on the drawer). Once the cabinet slide is installed, a second strip that gives the spacing between the drawers is used to locate the drawer, the lower drawer used to support the upper out of the cabinet while the drawer slide is being attached - this is the strip shown in the fourth photo of my posting.

I can see how the jig would work well for cabinets with face frames, and maybe OK for a frameless cabinet where the drawers are spaced further apart than the depth of the support, but I'd have to look a little closer if the drawers were shallower because the slide would maybe interfere with the location of the support for the drawer above it.

Hope that this helps.
Good info.
Thanks

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
MT Stringer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drill Press Table TRN_Diesel Show N' Tell 33 01-03-2013 12:46 AM
Auger Bits Mortising In Drill Press Gaia Tools and Woodworking 11 07-31-2012 12:46 PM
radial drill press experiences pls. allthunbs Tools and Woodworking 6 07-03-2010 07:08 AM
All thread for router skiis rstermer Jigs and Fixtures 99 08-09-2009 11:54 AM
Drill Press table (need input) jd99 Tools and Woodworking 8 08-04-2009 11:05 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome