Our teacher friend came to us yesterday and said she was in dire need of some help. The Halloween Carnival is this coming Saturday night and their game is not ready. I am not sure what kind of game it is but she needed help really bad. OK. I can do this.
This morning when I woke up, a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood was laying on the work table by our patio. Her husband dropped it off on is way to work. What she needed was some holes cut so plastic SOLO cups would fit flush with the plywood. Don't ask how the game works.
Last night, I took some measurements and cut a template on the CNC. As it turns out, the opening needed to be exactly 3.6 inches. Dang, got it right the first time. Then I designed another template that used a bigger piece of mdf. My plan was to rough cut the holes with a jig saw, then use a router to flush trim the openings. I drew up the design in VCarve Pro and cut it out on the CNC. I "drilled" several pockets for screws and later countersunk them before using the template.
The plywood had the shape of a pumpkin drawn on 1/2 of the sheet. I cut it to the desired width and sat the rest aside. My job was to cut holes in the pumpkin. I used the original template to draw circles randomly all over the punkin...about 32 in all. I lost count. I drilled a starter hole in each hole, then used a jig saw to rough cut the openings.
Then I attached the template over each hole with a couple of screws and, and using a flush trim bit, made all the holes exactly 3.6 inches in diameter. Yes, I checked several of them to make sure I hadn't miscalculated. The cups fit perfectly with just the lip sticking out of the hole. I gave the edges a good sanding as well as the entire piece so the plywood will be a little smoother and hopefully no one will get a splinter during handling.
I finished about 30 minutes before she arrived to pick it up. Good timing all around. Tomorrow the students are going to paint it. I will see if she can take a picture of the finished product.
Onward and upward.