Well as you will be aware my workshop has been receiving a few upgrades, i.e. out-feed table etc. and to be honest it has worked out fairly well. I have included one photo of my utilization of said table, and unfortunately have succumbed to the dreaded disease of quote, if you have a flat horizontal surface in a workshop use every available space on it, regardless.
Now on to my next project, which involves my good wife. Now if you have read any of my previous posts you will ascertain that although I am the king of my workshop I am not the king of all I sovereign over.
The only machine left that gives me her grief is the planer/thicknesser. It I a Wadkin Bursgreen 3 phase which is a delight but itís Achilles heel is its inability to handle the shavings it produces. It shoots the results out on to my drive like driven snow, which results in a big clean-up operation, now because I am retired and canít be bothered I usually leave this cleaning task until I can be bothered, but it does bother someone.
The reason being, is when she allows me access to the place I have been paying the mortgage on for 25 years I get a little excited, and when I make my way there in my hurried pensioners shuffle I walk though my planers offerings and drag them into the house. Unfortunately, I never get that far, usually a cup is thrust into my hand, at the same time she is spinning me 180 degrees, back from whence I came.
I then at this point decided to deal with the perpetrator of my woes and started on a shavings collection. Now as you will know these industrial vacuums donít come cheap, the smaller ones i.e. 63mm I felt was too small, ok for dust but not shavings. I recently fitted one to my band saw and thought about teeing in to that, and then I thought about a new connection and away I went. I managed to fund the project for zero monies as I had everything lying about as you see from my new out-feed table.
Now I wonít go into the construction procedures as the photos are explanatory. What you canít see is I bored holes in the top of the planer fence and inserted pins into the box which keeps it in place.
I also inserted a blast gate to the vacuum opening to the bandsaw as I didnít want to reduce the suction. I just cut a piece of 6mm ply for the planer blast gate and slotted it into a 100mm pvc drain gully, works a treat. I heat treated another 45 degrees drain connection to fit the circumference of the vacuum. The tubing is a 125mm extract vent I had left over from a job.
So how did it work. Well I fed a length of 4x2 through the machine a few times then checked the vacuum bin first, delighted. Then removed collection box and nothing left, more than I expected.
I then fitted a couple of hooks and it now sits out of the way.
I know itís not a work of art, probably the opposite, but it works.
Now at this point you might be asking how this impacted on my right of access to all my wife owns. The turnaround has been miraculous, I am now allowed access to the kitchen, only short periods in one spot, I am taking this on board as a victory.