The repair is complete.
Sometimes things just don't go as planned. The closet was deeper than I figured and the two boards I had prepped for each end were too short; no studs to attach them to.
Fortunately, we found a couple of clear pine 1x4's in the garage that could be cut down to size. Thank goodness. I was prepared to run to the store and buy a board.
The installation went smoothly and as I had planned. Two new brackets support the shelf and the closet rod, which is about 80 inches in length.
The only thing left is to patch the wall and do a little light painting. My sister can do that. She has experience (and supplies) from remodeling her previous home. She is tickled pink to have a good working closet. As I was leaving, she was getting the Lysol ready for a good cleaning.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Last edited by MT Stringer; 03-30-2018 at 03:26 PM.