Finished another batch of planes today - Page 2 - Router Forums
 86Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 AM
Registered User
 
jj777746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 3,139
 
Default

Agree with you Stick. These are just fine the way Herb makes them. James.
Herb Stoops likes this.

You can't drive a bridge spike with a tack hammer(so I'm told)
jj777746 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:50 AM
Registered User
 
jj777746's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 3,139
 
Default

Beautiful planes Herb.Seeing the eight new ones lined up in the last picture reminded me of a litter of pups.Great work. James.
Herb Stoops likes this.

You can't drive a bridge spike with a tack hammer(so I'm told)
jj777746 is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 3,244
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
This is a heck of a good way to use up scrap that are at least 2 1/4"WX7 1/4" L I found a pile of it under the drum sander and started using it up.

The last one pictured is a reject that I had to go into save mode to make presentable.

I mis measured the hole for the brass rod that holds the wedge and had to redrill the hole farther forward. I plugged the first hole with a piece of dowel before redrilling. To save it I inset a penny on each side to cover the booboo. So that is my 2-cent plane.

Herb

...can't see it from my house...

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Points to Ponder...

LEARNING - the decision you make to know and
understand more about some thing.

TIME - the thing that gets in the way of learning.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nickp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 14,007
 
Default

Ok, can't help myself, marketing hat is on. The packaging of these is what will make the big difference. I'd consider finding an elegant cardboard box just a little bit larger than the planes, then lay in a bit of black foam with the shape of the plane cut out. A tag with the story of traditional wooden hand planes printed out on a heavy vellum.

Take a picture of yourself using the plane with shavings, dressed in pretty traditional looking garb, printed in black and white so it looks old. Something like the attached picture, or printed in . You may be able to add some sort of texture to overlay the picture to give it more age.

Pack the top with plain newsprint (wrapping material for movers) so it doesn't move around in shipping, and sell it on ebay or some other site as a traditional hand made wooden hand plane, an heirloom piece to pass down from woodworker dad to woodworking son. A limited run for the connoisseur. Honoring the tradition of classic woodworking with modern metalurgy.

If it were me, I'd try to find a stash of old newspapers so the recipient is surprised by the age of the papers. Nice touch.

I would include some pictures of classic furniture made mainly with hand tools and planes to make the point of tradition. The appeal isn't to men only, many women would love to give their woodworking husbands who have every possible tool, something unusual like this.

If you made a couple of matching hardwood "hammers" for adjusting the blade, with instructions on how to use it, you could put togeter a kit and charge $100 and up for the kit. Google Elegant Packaging Boxes for images and links to something fancy.

As I said, I can't help myself when I see such an obvious income potential where the game is all about marketing the romance of the thing. It's both traditional and practical, ready to use after sharpening. Or ship it sharp, but put in a note to be careful, it's sharp

Don't know about you Herb, but my shop budget would benefit from $700 in income from scraps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench-overall-view.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	369459  

jj777746 likes this.

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
twmv86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Country: United States
First Name: Tim
Posts: 798
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
This is a heck of a good way to use up scrap that are at least 2 1/4"WX7 1/4" L I found a pile of it under the drum sander and started using it up.

The last one pictured is a reject that I had to go into save mode to make presentable.

I mis measured the hole for the brass rod that holds the wedge and had to redrill the hole farther forward. I plugged the first hole with a piece of dowel before redrilling. To save it I inset a penny on each side to cover the booboo. So that is my 2-cent plane.

Herb

heck i'll give you a quarter for the 2˘ one
TenGees and Herb Stoops like this.

Certified Recliner Operator
twmv86 is online now  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Contributor
 
Herb Stoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Herb
Posts: 7,020
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatTom View Post
Ok, can't help myself, marketing hat is on. The packaging of these is what will make the big difference. I'd consider finding an elegant cardboard box just a little bit larger than the planes, then lay in a bit of black foam with the shape of the plane cut out. A tag with the story of traditional wooden hand planes printed out on a heavy vellum.

Take a picture of yourself using the plane with shavings, dressed in pretty traditional looking garb, printed in black and white so it looks old. Something like the attached picture, or printed in . You may be able to add some sort of texture to overlay the picture to give it more age.

Pack the top with plain newsprint (wrapping material for movers) so it doesn't move around in shipping, and sell it on ebay or some other site as a traditional hand made wooden hand plane, an heirloom piece to pass down from woodworker dad to woodworking son. A limited run for the connoisseur. Honoring the tradition of classic woodworking with modern metalurgy.

If it were me, I'd try to find a stash of old newspapers so the recipient is surprised by the age of the papers. Nice touch.

I would include some pictures of classic furniture made mainly with hand tools and planes to make the point of tradition. The appeal isn't to men only, many women would love to give their woodworking husbands who have every possible tool, something unusual like this.

If you made a couple of matching hardwood "hammers" for adjusting the blade, with instructions on how to use it, you could put togeter a kit and charge $100 and up for the kit. Google Elegant Packaging Boxes for images and links to something fancy.

As I said, I can't help myself when I see such an obvious income potential where the game is all about marketing the romance of the thing. It's both traditional and practical, ready to use after sharpening. Or ship it sharp, but put in a note to be careful, it's sharp

Don't know about you Herb, but my shop budget would benefit from $700 in income from scraps.


Hey Tom, you might be on to something,already got an offer on one, from twmv86 for $ .25, man, I am going to make a killing here, after I deduct the $ .02 ,will leave me $ .23 profit. Not counting the free labor and materials. LMAO.



Herb
TenGees, jj777746 and twmv86 like this.
Herb Stoops is online now  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 22,533
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
Hey Tom, you might be on to something,already got an offer on one, from twmv86 for $ .25, man, I am going to make a killing here, after I deduct the $ .02 ,will leave me $ .23 profit. Not counting the free labor and materials. LMAO.



Herb
I'l double your money on that 2˘ plane..
TenGees, Herb Stoops and jj777746 like this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 3,244
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
I'l double your money on that 2˘ plane..

Cheap at twice the price...!
Herb Stoops and jj777746 like this.

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Points to Ponder...

LEARNING - the decision you make to know and
understand more about some thing.

TIME - the thing that gets in the way of learning.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nickp is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 13,482
 
Default

Where are you getting all the blade stock from, Herb? I wasn't clear on whether you're making the blades from scratch, or getting them from a source?
Making the blades would take as long as making the plane bodies!
DesertRatTom likes this.
DaninVan is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 14,007
 
Default

Taint the price that counts, it's the perceived value. I was wondering about the irons myself.
MEBCWD likes this.

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally Finished The Coon and Hounddog Scene.... challagan Corey's Wooden Stuff 12 12-20-2011 04:11 PM
Finally Finished jd99 Show N' Tell 7 12-31-2010 05:57 AM
Finished Gun Rack wil141 Wil141's gallery 3 08-26-2009 12:22 PM
Finished Pen Boxes challagan Corey's Wooden Stuff 8 03-30-2009 01:34 AM
The modified Magic Box is finished Bob N Show N' Tell 7 08-10-2007 08:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome