Leopardwood tea boxes
I stopped at Woodcraft a week ago and found a leopard wood board that was 3/4" * 4" by 36", and decided to make a couple tea boxes. Here is a photo of them plus a picture of the board that I was working with. For the tops, bottoms and splines I used tiger maple. The knobs were turned from a pieces of quarter-sawn, spalted red oak.
I used my usual finish of Zar oil-base polyurethane and mineral spirits. I have since taking a piece where of resewed the board and experimented with different finishes. I tried the Zar finish, teak-oil from Woodcraft, and a mixture of 1/3 each of Zar, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The one with the boiled linseed oil I think produced the best finish. If I ever make anything else from that wood that will be my finish. Malcolm / Kentucky USA