Completed next project for wife which was a Bedside Shelf. I took more pictures this time so you can see the process. It started with a cad drawing because I had to design it to fit by the bed. It needed to have a place to hold wife's phone and to have Kleenex built in. The rest was shelves. Was going to make it plain, but decided to add hearts to sides and bottom front.
The first picture is the cad drawing. The second picture show the cut list I make in Excel. Since I am re-sawing and making my own boards, it helps me keep track of what I have made. Using the heart design I made in CAD and printed, I used spray adhesive to attach to scrap board. I then drilled out the waste and used a jig saw to cut out the heart shape to be used with the router, see 4th photo. In photo three, I pre-drilled out the waste on the shelf sides. I the 5th photo, I attached the template to the side and used the router to make each heart. The 6th photo shows the completed hearts on both sides.
The 7th photo shows the dado jig I used for each shelf. I used blind dado's which stopped 1/2" from the front edge. I did not want the dado to show from the front. See photo 8 to see dado's and shelves. Photo 9 shows the shelves being glued to one side. I wanted to be sure that they were square to the side. You can never have too many clamps!!!
Photo's 10 & 11 show the final product, front and back. The trap door at the top is where you will put the Kleenex box in and turn the knob to hold the door shut. The knob was made by cutting a dowel rod in half.
Finally photo 12 is the final project after three coats of Satin Urethane.