Bread Boards - Router Forums
 39Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Oscar36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Oscar
Posts: 125
 
Default Bread Boards

An easy way to use off cuts and odds and ends. Wife already claimed the maple one on the end. The other two are destined as gifts.

Species used are oak, walnut, maple, mahogany, and purple heart.

Finish is tung oil and wax. Should be food ready in about a week to start cutting bread on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6292 small.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	382431  

Oscar36 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:54 AM
Registered User
 
Chris Itin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Chris
Posts: 22
 
Default

Very nice!

Getting old ain't for sissies.
Chris Itin is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:56 AM
Moderation Team
 
difalkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
First Name: David
Posts: 2,929
 
Default

Nice work, Oscar! And yes, a good way to use up smaller pieces.

Have you ever used just mineral oil on these? That would be food ready the next day and be easy to rejuvenate with a fresh coat every 3-4 months.

David
JFPNCM likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
difalkner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Registered User
 
Bstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Country: United States
First Name: Brian
Posts: 242
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Nice work, Oscar! And yes, a good way to use up smaller pieces.

Have you ever used just mineral oil on these? That would be food ready the next day and be easy to rejuvenate with a fresh coat every 3-4 months.

David
Yeah, I wondered the same thing - am using Mineral Oil on my boards. Didn't/Don't know - is Tung Oil food safe? As a rule, plant based oils are not...
difalkner likes this.

Common Man Woodworking
Powell, TN
Bstrom is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Registered User
 
JFPNCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Jon
Posts: 4,054
 
Default

As far as I know, PURE tung oil is food safe. Unfortunately, a lot of what is marketed as tung oil is not pure and in some cases contains very little tung oil.

Jon
JFPNCM is online now  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Oscar36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Oscar
Posts: 125
 
Default

David,

Thanks. Mineral oil is what I usually use.

For the other folks,

I misspoke on the original entry. It had been a while since I had used tung oil for food stuff and memory not what it used to be.

Tung oil is food safe "after" curing (15 -30 days). I normally go for a month before using with food. You do have to be careful but I have never had an issue with it personally. 30+ years of woodworking and I have never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from properly cured tung oil.

This was a new finish I wanted to try. Three coats of tung oil and then wax while still tacky. The finish is different. It very satiny. I like it but will probably not be something I use regularly.

Next cutting boards will have mineral oil.
JFPNCM, DaninVan and difalkner like this.
Oscar36 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Registered User
 
JOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Theo
Posts: 6,499
 
Default

Huh. How times change. Never saw anything like that for cutting bread. What we had when I was growing up was something along these lines.

Oh yeah, we used a bread knife also. Long, thin, serrated edge, specifically made for cutting bread. Of course ours did not have Chinese on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2,,,.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	382561  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815-bread-knives-vicky-wasik-6.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	382563  


"It ain't what you're told, it's what you know." - Granny Weatherwax
Fawkahwe tribal police SWAT Team
Some days, the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.
.....Call me a craftsman, artisan, or artistic, and I will accept that. Call me an artist and you will likely get a quite rude comment in return. I am not a @#$%ing artist.

Last edited by JOAT; 03-06-2020 at 02:49 PM.
JOAT is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,537
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar36 View Post
David,

Thanks. Mineral oil is what I usually use.

For the other folks,

I misspoke on the original entry. It had been a while since I had used tung oil for food stuff and memory not what it used to be.

Tung oil is food safe "after" curing (15 -30 days). I normally go for a month before using with food. You do have to be careful but I have never had an issue with it personally. 30+ years of woodworking and I have never seen or heard of anyone getting sick from properly cured tung oil.

This was a new finish I wanted to try. Three coats of tung oil and then wax while still tacky. The finish is different. It very satiny. I like it but will probably not be something I use regularly.

Next cutting boards will have mineral oil.
I just picked up a 4liter container of Minersl oil at Mohawk finishes, for $65 Cdn. The pharmacy is currently charging upwards of $10 for a 250ml bottle. So quick math; 16 x250ml = 4 L...16 X $10 =$160!

Paid for my ferry trip into Vancouver plus gas.
graeme.c.payne and Oscar36 like this.
DaninVan is online now  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,537
 
Default

Theo; that's slick! Maybe use a piece of polypropylene cutting board for the bottom cutting surface?
DaninVan is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Oscar36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Country: United States
First Name: Oscar
Posts: 125
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
Huh. How times change. Never saw anything like that for cutting bread. What we had when I was growing up was something along these lines.

Oh yeah, we used a bread knife also. Long, thin, serrated edge, specifically made for cutting bread. Of course ours did not have Chinese on it.
Its only for the fancy nights where you want to show off your artisan bread you just baked in your stone oven. lol. Not really.

I have a cheap bread maker that makes fresh bread that I cut up on a cheap plastic cutting board. This makes for a nicer display if sharing bread and cheese with friends or family on special occasions. I still use the long serrated bread knife for carving up the bread. I say carving because chopping up a fresh loaf of bread takes skill I don't have.
graeme.c.payne likes this.
Oscar36 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome