Hex-Box - Page 3 - Router Forums
 84Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
First Name: ben
Posts: 131
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
Math aside I was trying to illistrate how to easily glue up a many sided project without a lot of clamps.

Herb
Herb, do you have a good reference for the "Math" aspect of the problem?
bfblack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:46 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 8,943
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfblack View Post
Herb, do you have a good reference for the "Math" aspect of the problem?
I will try and describe how I arrive at it. This was a contest called the 2X4 challenge where we had it make an item out of a 2X4X8'.
Top OD=13
Bottom OD=10
Height=12"
Circumference of the top C=╥d, =╥13,=3.14X13=40.82"
Circumference of bottom C=╥10= 3.14X10=31.4"
width of each stave =1.25"@top
number of staves = 40.82/1.25 =32.65 ( round off to32 staves)
New Top circumference = 32 X 1.25 =40"
Bottom C/#staves=width of bottom of stave=31.4"/32=.981", (round off to 1")
New Bottom C =32"
The degree of bevel each side is C/#staves/2= 360/32/2= 11.25/2=5.62 each side

I ripped the staves 3/4"thick X 1 1/2"X12"
Using 2 jigs I made to then rip each side, on a tapered angle and bevel.

I hope you can understand this.

Herb
swarfmaker and Nickp like this.

Last edited by Herb Stoops; 09-07-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Herb Stoops is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
bcfunburst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Reg
Posts: 437
 
Default Hex Boxes

Two More smaller Hex Boxes; Ready for Teak Oil. Dementions are 5" by 4", Maple and Padauk; smaller one is 4" by 4" Maple and Zebrawood. Just playing with scrap pieces of hardwood. Got the glue -ups solved with tiny dowels holding bottom plate in place while glue dries. Thanks for all your help & Thanks for looking in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	748.3 KB
ID:	392867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00098.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	775.9 KB
ID:	392869  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	764.4 KB
ID:	392871  

JFPNCM, Nickp, Herb Stoops and 2 others like this.

"Even bad decisions make good stories"

<bcfunburst>
bcfunburst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,625
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
I will try and describe how I arrive at it. This was a contest called the 2X4 challenge where we had it make an item out of a 2X4X8'.
Top OD=13
Bottom OD=10
Height=12"
Circumference of the top C=╥d, =╥13,=3.14X13=40.82"
Circumference of bottom C=╥10= 3.14X10=31.4"
width of each stave =1.25"@top
number of staves = 40.82/1.25 =32.65 ( round off to32 staves)
New Top circumference = 32 X 1.25 =40"
Bottom C/#staves=width of bottom of stave=31.4"/32=.981", (round off to 1")
New Bottom C =32"
The degree of bevel each side is C/#staves/2= 360/32/2= 11.25/2=5.62 each side

I ripped the staves 3/4"thick X 1 1/2"X12"
Using 2 jigs I made to then rip each side, on a tapered angle and bevel.

I hope you can understand this.

Herb


Herb...isn't it 360/32=11.25...? Rather than 360/32/2=11.25...?

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GIVE A MAN A FISH and you feed him for a day.
TEACH HIM HOW TO FISH and you feed him for his life time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nickp is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 8,943
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfunburst View Post
Two More smaller Hex Boxes; Ready for Teak Oil. Dementions are 5" by 4", Maple and Padauk; smaller one is 4" by 4" Maple and Zebrawood. Just playing with scrap pieces of hardwood. Got the glue -ups solved with tiny dowels holding bottom plate in place while glue dries. Thanks for all your help & Thanks for looking in!
Outstanding job, Those are beautiful.
Herb
Herb Stoops is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 8,943
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp View Post
Herb...isn't it 360/32=11.25...? Rather than 360/32/2=11.25...?
You are right, Nick the interior angle of the triangle is 11.25, which means the other two angles of the triangle are 84.375 each, then the angle of cut is 90-84.375=5.625.

My memory is slipping.
Herb
Nickp likes this.
Herb Stoops is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Registered User
 
Nickp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Nick
Posts: 4,625
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops View Post
You are right, Nick the interior angle of the triangle is 11.25, which means the other two angles of the triangle are 84.375 each, then the angle of cut is 90-84.375=5.625.

My memory is slipping.
Herb

Don't think it's memory...it was the center slide on your Cooke Radio Slide Rule that slipped...
JFPNCM and Herb Stoops like this.

Nick

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GIVE A MAN A FISH and you feed him for a day.
TEACH HIM HOW TO FISH and you feed him for his life time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nickp is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 6
 
Default

Those hex boxes look good! Didnt think about the dowels.
bcfunburst likes this.
pigpen60 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome