I bought a used expensive vacuum system several years ago and ended up selling it. I used it about 5 1/2 years and got a good profit out of it when I sold it.
I found that I could use another system and started collecting parts as I found them on sale. I finally got all of the parts together for my new vacuum system about 2 weeks ago and have finally started work on the system this week.
The system is designed after the EVS system plans, free from here: http://www.joewoodworker.com/docs/ProjectEVS.pdf
I had to buy a 10 ft section of 4" PVC pipe so I redesigned the system to have 4 storage reservoirs instead of 2 and they are larger than the plan reservoirs. This gives the system the ability to hold the vacuum level longer and cycle the pump less.
This addition of 2 reservoirs added to the cost of the system for additional parts however, I feel it will be worth it in the overall operation of the system.
The project is not complete at this point however it can now be used!!! I still have to build and install 3 storage drawers. After completing the assembly of the system I ran a hour test.
I ran the system to 25in Hg and unplugged the system for it to sit undisturbed for 1 hour. After 1 hour the system gauge read about 24.25in Hg so I am more than happy with the vacuum retention of the system.
I adjusted the system to turn off at 21in Hg as recommended buy the plans. I checked the cycling and was pleased with the operation of the vacuum controller.
I think this system will work better than the old system I had. I can live with it the way it is until I get the chance to build the storage drawers.
My wife will be babysitting one of the granddaughters for a few days so I am going to do some work in the Kitchen while she is gone and surprise her, so I know I won't be working on anything else for a few days.
Here are some pictures of the vacuum system to this point: