Having a Band Saw Stand I needed something to put on it.
I built the band saw using the plans by Matthias Wandel available on his Woodworking for engineers
website. The plans were well done and easy to follow. He has done all the hard work.
Being new at this I was a little concerned about being able to do this project. Since I was doing it for fun and the wood was scrap and free I decided I really did not have a lot to lose. Worst case the wife would have some more nice wood for the fireplace. Started by ripping 4 x 4 scraps that were used for packing some sort of equipment. Ripped those in half and ran them through the planer. Then ripped those in half and planed them down to a thickness of 17mm. From those I made up the components for the frame. I saw one fellow posted something about 72 pieces. I did not take the time to count them. To make assembly easier a letter was assigned to each group of parts with the same letter added to the cut list. With so many parts it made it a lot easer to keep track of things. I think the letters went from A to V.
The frame glue up was a process over several days and nights. It takes a lot of clamps. I thought I was going to have to invest in more clamps until I found a 5 gal bucket full of large C-clamps that I forgot I even had. I do have a lot of bridge clamps but did not want to use them as it would be over kill. I tried to be very careful that everything was perfectly aligned. The first layer was started using a 1:1 print out of the frame taped together.
The hardwood parts for the tensioner, axle mount blocks, etc. were cut from scrap Oak blocks used for shipping equipment. The wheels were cut from some 1 1/8 T&G plywood left over from repair on a sub floor. The wheels have a slight crown. For that the lower wheel block was held in a vice, with the weel mounted on the axle. Set up a router on the same axis as the axle but off 5 degrees for the crown. Cutting half the crown at a time. Turning the wheel by hand and feeding the router into it until the correct diameter was reached. Flipped the wheel and did the other half.
The driven pulley on the drive wheel the outside diameter was cut with a circle cutting jig on a 10 inch band saw. A router was used to cut out the center to go over the wheel bearing and to cut the V groove for the belt. For the V-belt notch a 45 degree bit was used for the sides and a 1/4 inch straight bit for clean out. The wheel was mounted in the same way as previously but this time the router bit was fed straight into the surface of the pulley, the pulley was attached to the wheel. That pulley was made from scrap 3/4 plywood. The guards were made using frames of scrap pallet boards and skinned with 1/4 inch plywood. The table trunions were made from layers of scrap 3/4 plywood with 1/4 inch plywood sandwiched between. I made one of each of the two types parts of the trunion cutting them out with a smaller band saw. They were sanded smooth and accurate then used as templates to make the remaining parts with a router. The table and sub table were made from more scrap 3/4 plywood. The metal for the blade guard on the upper guide mount was made using some left over J channel from a pellet stove install in the shop. Guide bearings are from roller blades, the blocks for the guides are hardwood. Tires for the saw are 14 inch bicycle inner tubes stretched over the 16 inch wheels. They were about $7 each. Guess the price went up since I was a kid some 50+ years ago. The motor was cannibalized from a contractor saw found for free on Craigslist. I think I have another saw located for a replacement motor on the table saw as it is set up as a second saw with a dado blade and it is a good saw.
The saw tracked perfect under power after initial set up turning the wheels by hand. It cuts very well so far. Much better than the 10 inch saw I have made by a major manufacturer. Of course it is a lot larger too. I have not done any real re-sawing yet but did cut out the "required" reindeer then did a swan and giraffe just to make sure it was OK. It was a lot of fun to build. Well, it was fun between the times I was fixing up mistakes. I have not added up the hardware to get an idea on the actual cost. The bearings were the big expense, outside of the blades of course. I shopped around and found the wheel bearings for a few dollars each and the roller blade bearings were around $8 for a pack of around 7 or 8. I will probably do some experimenting with full roller guides later. For that the guides will probably have to be in a metal mount. The blade is 105 inch common to the 14 inch saws with a riser, so they are easy to find.
I know another member of the forum is also working on one of these. We have talked back and forth a bit in private messaging. He is planning to post his build and should be done soon. Looking forward to that. The nice thing about building it is I should also be able to fix it if there is ever a problem. Grab the yellow glue and patch it up. :-)