Each year at our office we hold an ornament exchange--lot of fun with a $10 limit. The standard fare is very ornate to downright funny (i got a reindeer that makes "noise" one year, still a favorite at our house). A few years back i got burned out on looking for the right ornament to buy so i whipped up a slide-top box from some scrap walnut and put a basic red bulb in it. The next year was oak, last year was a cherry.
For this year, i picked up a small stick of zebra wood a few weeks back, resawed to do continuous grain. 1/4" box joints with 1" spacing. Base & top are wormy maple, and the handle was from gluing my 2 offcuts back together before shaping. Top is a perfect fit, almost too good!! Three coats of Watco teak oil to shade it a bit, with a coat of Johnson's paste wax, buffed with kraft paper. The pics are from the 4 corners to show the continuity of the grain, but the new LED lights in the kitchen don't show well--the sides have the same sheen as the handle.
There are some mistakes, but SWMBO is trying to get me in the habit of not pointing them out!! Not one of Malcolm's works of art, but i'm pleased for my first shot with truly exotic wood. The zebra was remarkable easy to work with, planed and sanded better than i expected. Used a card scraper for the first time--WOW, i wish i'd been using them from the beginning of time!! I'm probably at $11.00 on the materials--so the ornament that goes in has got to be really cheap.