Latest signs made - Router Forums
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
N'awlins77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Lee
Posts: 1,622
 
Default Latest signs made

Here are my two latest free handed signs.

The first one is a little quicky I put together for my Sister's dog, who I just made a kennel table for.

The second is just an idea I got, and may, at some point, make a few more to sell. The blank is select pine. I attempted to do a sketch, wood burning, of a fisherman in a boat, with his line out. Wood burning is definitely not my forte'. Then I tried to burn it with a small flame, and make it a silhouette, and that looked even worse. LOL So I cut that out (thus the blue "lake), and then traced a fish onto a piece of 1/8" oak and cut it out with my scroll saw. Painted it silver, then drew the fish details with a fine point marker. Then glued it into the "lake". Painted the letters and border black, sanded and sprayed with clear coat.

Question to those who have experience in selling your signs and been around the market with signs. What do you think I could sell these for? The Gone Fishin' sign, that is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Treme Sign.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	196498  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gone Fishin Sign3.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	196506  


Last edited by N'awlins77; 03-13-2016 at 01:59 PM.
N'awlins77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Country: Canada
First Name: Keith
Posts: 1,151
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'awlins77 View Post
Here are my two latest free handed signs.

The first one is a little quicky I put together for my Sister's dog, who I just made a kennel table for.

The second is just an idea I got, and may, at some point, make a few more to sell. The blank is select pine. I attempted to do a sketch, wood burning, of a fisherman in a boat, with his line out. Wood burning is definitely not my forte'. Then I tried to burn it with a small flame, and make it a silhouette, and that looked even worse. LOL So I cut that out (thus the blue "lake), and then traced a fish onto a piece of 1/8" oak and cut it out with my scroll saw. Painted it silver, then drew the fish details with a fine point marker. Then glued it into the "lake". Painted the letters and border black, sanded and sprayed with clear coat.

Question to those who have experience in selling your signs and been around the market with signs. What do you think I could sell these for? The Gone Fishin' sign, that is?
It's one of those things that depends on your market.

To help yourself, you should determine what your material costs are and then add in your time. If you can get that price for it you've done well.
MEBCWD likes this.

OK, fess up...which one of you clowns stole my sig? It was right here a second ago.
cocobolo1 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
N'awlins77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Lee
Posts: 1,622
 
Default

What do most charge an hour? I mean, the company I work for (metal machine repair, I.E. Lathe's, mills, saws) charge 125 and hr. I don't think I'd sell much at that rate!! LOL So what do most of you woodworkers, charge per hour. And what I'll have to do, is make a few more, maybe 5 or 6 at a time and keep track of my time, and divide it by how many signs.
N'awlins77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Country: Canada
First Name: Keith
Posts: 1,151
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'awlins77 View Post
What do most charge an hour? I mean, the company I work for (metal machine repair, I.E. Lathe's, mills, saws) charge 125 and hr. I don't think I'd sell much at that rate!! LOL So what do most of you woodworkers, charge per hour. And what I'll have to do, is make a few more, maybe 5 or 6 at a time and keep track of my time, and divide it by how many signs.
Since this is really a hobby type income, you're the one who needs to decide what you need. $10 or $40? Only you have that answer.
N'awlins77, MEBCWD and Gaffboat like this.

OK, fess up...which one of you clowns stole my sig? It was right here a second ago.
cocobolo1 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,126
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo1 View Post
Since this is really a hobby type income, you're the one who needs to decide what you need. $10 or $40? Only you have that answer.
agreed...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,126
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'awlins77 View Post
What do most charge an hour? I mean, the company I work for (metal machine repair, I.E. Lathe's, mills, saws) charge 125 and hr. I don't think I'd sell much at that rate!! LOL So what do most of you woodworkers, charge per hour. And what I'll have to do, is make a few more, maybe 5 or 6 at a time and keep track of my time, and divide it by how many signs.
what do you make in your day job and are you satisfied w/ that amount???

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 15,896
 
Default

Nice work . Not sure why yer mad . J/k

I don’t always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Gaffboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Oliver
Posts: 2,083
 
Default

Etsy has a bunch of Gone Fishing signs with routed ones selling from about $15 to $45. As Keith said, you're the only one who knows what your time is worth. I would caution you not to sell too low because you are making hand-crafted one-of-a-kind items. I also think that if you can personalize it you can charge a much higher price for very little extra work. Do you have a venue where you will be selling your signs?
MEBCWD likes this.

Dragons slain. Damsels rescued. No reasonable request refused ... unless the dragon's really big.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~Oscar Wilde

http://profhenrys.blogspot.com
Gaffboat is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,841
 
Default

Guarantee you won't get what you think you should. That's one reason I quit doing craft shows (even as a hobby) a long time ago. Just wasn't worth it.

HJ
honesttjohn is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Registered User
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Don
Posts: 2,603
 
Default

I do woodworking as a hobby not to make money. If your serious about making money then it's a job. ""Your choice""
N'awlins77 likes this.

Don in Murfreesboro,Tn.

Measure once cut twice and it's still to short.
hawkeye10 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some recent signs I have made Stan Richardson Sign Making 1 01-04-2014 07:23 PM
Some recent signs I have made Stan Richardson Sign Making 16 06-23-2013 08:29 PM
Some of my signs I have made, New to the group Stan Richardson Sign Making 0 05-23-2013 06:32 PM
My latest finish projects PlayasTeo Show N' Tell 14 02-22-2010 12:38 PM
Some turning tools that I made Mitch12 Woodturning and Lathes 16 11-15-2008 11:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome