Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
First Name: AnotherOldGuy
CNC Is Not For Us... Prefer Hand Carving
We love to hand carve wood signs. It just feels good. No CNC for us.
However, not to take away anything from the CNC crowd of sign makers, we would enjoy having a machine and software around. Unfortunately, the pricing and complication of CNC machines keeps us out of that game.
There's an art and science to hand carving wood that is so appealing. And it's not everyone's cup-of-tea, we hear. We had a learning curve to plow through to get our hand carving technique down. It was not easy.
So just exactly why is hand carving so great from our point of view? Probably for the following reasons:
1. Our customers have told us they appreciate the hand work over CNC.
2. We enjoy the challenge of cutting wood by hand.
3. Hand carving signs has made us clean our shop, put better lighting around and redesign our shop layout, a darn good thing in our case.
4. We love the VECTOR world of artwork and know how to work with it.
5. The world is better off if we can work in the shop all day.
6. The palm router, precision bits and airbrush system makes our hand carving easier.
Well... there you have it. Another opinion from another old guy. We've decided to stop looking at the Shopbot and Carvewright web sites and be honest about the hand carving appeal we have learned to enjoy so much. And that is why we shy away from CNC systems... we are afraid to lose that hand carved appeal that feels so good.
Last edited by newmexico; 03-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.