Few Profile Updates - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Cool Few Profile Updates

Did a few minor changes to the profiles to help organize the information a bit more. Also added a new area for members to share a bit of information about them, their power tools and their shop.

If you visit your "Edit Details" page located here: http://www.routerforums.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Then scroll down to the bottom, you'll see two new fields:

Power Tools
Share a list of the power tools you have in your workshop.

My Shop
Share other information about your shop. The size, location or anything else you wish to share with the community.

----

All information you type in these fields will be displayed in a new profile block down the right side under the heading "My Shop". You can see an example in my profile: Router Forums - View Profile: Mark.

----

I'm also currently working on a method to encourage new members to fully fill out their profiles so that the community can be more connected. Hopefully a solution to that will be launched shortly here.

Anyway, let me know what you think guys!

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com

Last edited by Mark; 07-10-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Mark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
First Name: James
Posts: 2,304
 
Default

That's a great idea Mark. Thanks. I'm sure some lists will get quite long.

James
Whittier, CA.

Have a nice & safe day!
jlord is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Default

We'll try it on the right side block for now, if they're getting quite large, we can move it to it's own tab in the middle area.

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com
Mark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,116
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Did a few minor changes to the profiles to help organize the information a bit more. Also added a new area for members to share a bit of information about them, their power tools and their shop.

If you visit your "Edit Details" page located here: http://www.routerforums.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Then scroll down to the bottom, you'll see two new fields:

Power Tools
Share a list of the power tools you have in your workshop.

My Shop
Share other information about your shop. The size, location or anything else you wish to share with the community.

----

All information you type in these fields will be displayed in a new profile block down the right side under the heading "My Shop". You can see an example in my profile: Router Forums - View Profile: Mark.

----

I'm also currently working on a method to encourage new members to fully fill out their profiles so that the community can be more connected. Hopefully a solution to that will be launched shortly here.

Anyway, let me know what you think guys!
I think that is a great idea, Mark.

Sometimes, from a post, we cannot tell if we are talking to a complete amateur such as myself or a professional wood worker.

James
jw2170 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,238
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

It's taken a while Mark but you have proved to be a man of your word, well done, it can only improve what is already one of the best forums on the internet.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
It's taken a while Mark but you have proved to be a man of your word, well done, it can only improve what is already one of the best forums on the internet.
Thank you Harry I am still seeking a solution to a solution to encourage new members to properly set up their profiles. My thought path on it is, possibly some improvements to that Edit Details page, giving some information on why it's a good idea to include the information. Then possible a global message to these new members.

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com
Mark is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Default

Some users had concerns about the field character limit, I have upgraded it now so it can support a larger mount of words.

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com
Mark is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Retired Moderator
 
CanuckGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Deb
Posts: 3,132
 
Send a message via MSN to CanuckGal
Default

Mark I like these changes a lot! Is there anyway to make it so users could add pictures of their shop? Or somehow link to gallery pictures?

EGO postulo , EGO venalicium , EGO incidere.
I measured, I marked, I cut.
Latin instructions for firewood.

Get the Router Workshop Video Series Online!
CanuckGal is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Community Founder
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
First Name: Mark
Posts: 6,764
 
Default

Okay. Another update!

I changed the look of this page, hopefully this may encourage new members to share their information with the community.

Let me know what you guys think about this look. I was going to implement it on all settings pages for account management.

Link: http://www.routerforums.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGal View Post
Mark I like these changes a lot! Is there anyway to make it so users could add pictures of their shop? Or somehow link to gallery pictures?
Excellent idea Deb! I'm going to look into this one.

Mark,
Founder of RouterForums.com

Last edited by Mark; 07-11-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Mark is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,238
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Some users had concerns about the field character limit, I have upgraded it now so it can support a larger mount of words.
That was vital for the likes of me Mark!

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Box with Ball Feet jimcrockett Router Bits - Types and Usage 9 07-17-2015 12:19 AM
More simple tools : profile / beading scraper or "scratch stock" rwyoung Show N' Tell 4 05-10-2010 11:45 AM
RouterForums.com Updates! Mark Site Help and Suggestions 0 05-06-2007 05:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome