how to route a stopped slot - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
 
Default how to route a stopped slot

What is the best way to route a stopped 'through' slot on a router table?
Say I have a 1x2" where I want to route a 1/4" slot starting 2 inches from the end.

I used a start and a stop block attached to the fence, but I was not comfortable having my hands so close the the bit (even when it was burried in the stock), but I couldn't think of any clamp setup that would work.

I'm sure there must be an easy and safe way to do this on a table

Jesper
jkristia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Jesper

This is a good job for the ski jig, but if you don't have one and don't want to take the time to make one, this is what I suggest you do..

Use wider stock and longer stock,, put the slot in place and rip the board to size and cut it off to the right size..

Put masking tape on the fence to get you a starting point and a stopping point and the rest of it is easy.. just drop and slot,, wood is cheap but your fingers are not..
You can use stop blocks on the fence, but if you are going to use longer stock your table may not be that wide ( long) use a push block but don't put your hand over the bit at any time,if the bit breaks free it's coming out the top of the board..or when you plunge it down it's coming out of the top side..

use the 6" golden rule,,never but your hand with in 6" of the bit..

====


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristia View Post
What is the best way to route a stopped 'through' slot on a router table?
Say I have a 1x2" where I want to route a 1/4" slot starting 2 inches from the end.

I used a start and a stop block attached to the fence, but I was not comfortable having my hands so close the the bit (even when it was burried in the stock), but I couldn't think of any clamp setup that would work.

I'm sure there must be an easy and safe way to do this on a table

Jesper



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 03-22-2009 at 11:13 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered User
 
dovetail_65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Dovetail
Posts: 1,610
 
Default

Hi Bob

I think he was having trouble thinking of clamping and even with the skii you have used a cam clamp table in the past.

Can you post the "how to" on that cam table, it's pretty straightforward and I can guess your measurements pretty well, but for a newbie I think some plans may be helpful if you could do it. I bet this would clear up a lot of holding issues for this poster and many others. I am sure you posted it before somewhere, maybe a bump is in order.

I really have never needed one, but I may make one for an off site project based on yours and others I have seen here.
dovetail_65 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered User
 
levon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
First Name: levon
Posts: 1,820
 
Default

hey Nick ,

couldnt he just use a flat board and the stick method to hold the workpiece, like harry uses?

but he still would need the ski jig right? im just asking for myself.

light travels faster than sound, this is why some people seem bright til you hear them speak.

Please Please Please edit your profile with a name and location so we can better assist you and make for a friendlier forum

levon
levon is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Nick

Here's a link that will show how to clamp the stock in place for the ski jig..


Router Forums - View Single Post - for Levon

===================

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickao65 View Post
Hi Bob

I think he was having trouble thinking of clamping and even with the skii you have used a cam clamp table in the past.

Can you post the "how to" on that cam table, it's pretty straightforward and I can guess your measurements pretty well, but for a newbie I think some plans may be helpful if you could do it. I bet this would clear up a lot of holding issues for this poster and many others. I am sure you posted it before somewhere, maybe a bump is in order.

I really have never needed one, but I may make one for an off site project based on yours and others I have seen here.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Registered User
 
dovetail_65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Dovetail
Posts: 1,610
 
Default

I know that, I thought you could post on HOW to make that Cam Clamp Table.
dovetail_65 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Nick

The post below shows all , both type of Cam Clamp Tables..it's so simple no plans need,, it can be any size one wants to make it..


http://www.routerforums.com/portable...243-levon.html


=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickao65 View Post
I know that, I thought you could post on HOW to make that Cam Clamp Table.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

I will have to look more closely at that when I am not tired, and I have something to work on and with. Paint starts this week, primer coat, then trim calk and final paint!!

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
 
Default

thank you, that jig seems like a good idea if you have to make many slots, but for a single slot is seems like a lot of work. But the idea of the jig is deinitely useful and next time I will mak a simple jig with to sticks for the router to rest on, the edge guide and then use the plunge to cut the slot instead.

Thank
Jesper
jkristia is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,398
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristia View Post
thank you, that jig seems like a good idea if you have to make many slots, but for a single slot is seems like a lot of work. But the idea of the jig is deinitely useful and next time I will mak a simple jig with to sticks for the router to rest on, the edge guide and then use the plunge to cut the slot instead.

Thank
Jesper
I answered this same question from a member some time ago, for a one off, the method is quick, simple and very safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Routing-a-slot.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	21675  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Routing-a-slot2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	21676  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Routing-a-slot3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	21677  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Routing-a-slot4.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	21678  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best way to route a frame style edging? sf_basilix General Routing 6 02-11-2010 07:30 AM
What to route first? dwcurry Table-mounted Routing 4 03-02-2009 09:11 PM
SLOT Cutters A T FEHR Router Bits - Types and Usage 8 01-26-2009 04:30 AM
Stopped dado help Birch Portable Routing 5 03-21-2007 12:27 AM
router bit meeting resistance cutting a slot??? matey Router Bits - Types and Usage 3 10-03-2005 06:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome