Thanks Tom, really appreciate all of that info!
Started on the to today. Both pieces for the top have melamine on both sides, which is good and bad. Good from a stiffness perspective, but as you rightly point out, gluing could be a challenge. I have some liquid nails I think might do the job, but I may test it first
I've cut out the top. I did a smaller hole on the bottom as suggested, just small enough to support the top with the space for the plate routed out - that way it gives it some more strength with the weight of the router and plate.
I've attached a photo of the plate resting in the top, pre-gluing. Routing that was actually good fun.
I'm a little concerned, in that the back side is not flat, but the feeding edge is, and so is the trailing edge. Front edge slightly raised also. Problem I've got I think is that despite my best efforts the melamine boards may not be as straight as I thought they were.
Nonetheless, if I clamp them in a good fashion when I glue them, then hopefully this helps. Being melamine coated I'm not confident.
But still, it's only my first table.
I'll start the table base assembly tomorrow.