Problems with height adjustment Delta Router - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Default Problems with height adjustment Delta Router

HI, I am having problems getting my Delta Router/Shaper (table router) to move up and down. I haven't used it for a while and it seems to be "frozen". I live in a salt water environment and think that might have something to do with it. I have applied WD-40 to every moving surface, but it still binds when I try to move the router. Any suggestions out there?? Thanks.
hollypoint is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

hi hollypoint

Put the WD-40 back into the tool box and pickup some dry Teflon lube, DuPont makes some great stuff that comes in a small bottle but if you have some router bit lube it works great also, it's about the same stuff..just a bit higher in price.

Just a note ,,,,WD-40 is a great saw dust magnet ,,DuPont, milk white the norm


=========
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollypoint View Post
HI, I am having problems getting my Delta Router/Shaper (table router) to move up and down. I haven't used it for a while and it seems to be "frozen". I live in a salt water environment and think that might have something to do with it. I have applied WD-40 to every moving surface, but it still binds when I try to move the router. Any suggestions out there?? Thanks.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Forum Contributor
 
xplorx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 10,671
 
Default

Greetings (your name here) and welcome to the router forum.

Wisdom: Where experience and knowledge combine and become one.

"We are all one decision away from Stupid!!"

Lamentations 3:22-23

"How often we sacrifice the permanent plans of God on the altar of immediate solutions"

I have a very good memory, just short is all.
xplorx4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Default Wd-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
hi hollypoint

Put the WD-40 back into the tool box and pickup some dry Teflon lube, DuPont makes some great stuff that comes in a small bottle but if you have some router bit lube it works great also, it's about the same stuff..just a bit higher in price.

Just a note ,,,,WD-40 is a great saw dust magnet ,,DuPont, milk white the norm


=========
Hey Bob, Thanks . I will avoid the WD 40. Thank you so much for telling me that.

Janis
hollypoint is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Janis, do not feel bad about your choice of WD-40. It is the right product for trying to unstick your mechanism since it cleans and lubricates. Once you loosen up the lift you can wipe the threads as dry as possible and switch to a dry lube product.

I sold my Delta router/shaper a while ago so this is from memory. Remove the round fill plate and check carefully with a small mirror to be sure nothing has fallen in and is blocking the motion. (always use the vacuum hose to prevent build up in the cabinet)
Are your adjustment threads rusty? If so spray them with PB Blaster to remove the rust. Most often it is simply a build up of sawdust in the threads, and an air hose is the easiest way to remove that. What area do you live in? This is how we direct you to assistance when needed.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Janis, do not feel bad about your choice of WD-40. It is the right product for trying to unstick your mechanism since it cleans and lubricates. Once you loosen up the lift you can wipe the threads as dry as possible and switch to a dry lube product.

I sold my Delta router/shaper a while ago so this is from memory. Remove the round fill plate and check carefully with a small mirror to be sure nothing has fallen in and is blocking the motion. (always use the vacuum hose to prevent build up in the cabinet)
Are your adjustment threads rusty? If so spray them with PB Blaster to remove the rust. Most often it is simply a build up of sawdust in the threads, and an air hose is the easiest way to remove that. What area do you live in? This is how we direct you to assistance when needed.
Thanks, Mike. I am in Onancock, Virginia.

Janis
hollypoint is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a New Router Table-What's the Ideal Working Height? gerrym526 Table-mounted Routing 12 07-19-2014 09:49 PM
Hello DPugmire New Member Introductions 5 11-08-2010 07:29 AM
Craftsman 17543 Combo Fixed Base Height Adjustment Gator95 General Routing 14 11-29-2008 04:30 PM
Old Glossary Terms Mark Site Help and Suggestions 0 10-14-2008 02:30 AM
Insert Plate size and 11.5" handle spread; how to prevent problems Ladd Table-mounted Routing 34 12-14-2007 02:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome