Insert plates - again!
I was researching insert plates for a possible new router table and came across an interesting phenomenon:
1) The only plates that take 1.5" guides are single-opening affairs (Oak Park, Lee Valley), thus bigger cutters cannot be used. Oak Park does a 3-1/8" aperture plate but there is no insert to reduce this for smaller cutters.
2) The only exception is the Lee Valley table top but that is steel, huge and expensive.
3) All the other plates (Kreg, Pinnacle, HF, you name them) have two inserts, one of which takes 1-3/16" guides.
4) You can buy a set of insert rings for some of them (Notably Pinnacle), but none of them take 1.5" guides/brass inserts. To be fair the Pinnacle set goes down to 5/8" aperture which should probably be OK down to 1/4" cutter (?) The downside is that the Pinnacle plate and a set of inserts (Aluminium) are close to $200.
5) The one exception I could find is Bench Dog but as far as I can tell their 1.5" insert is not recessed for guide use.
Am I right in saying that if you want to use 1.5" guides/brass inserts you are limited to a single aperture plate or you need to re-drill and recess one of the rings in the other plates? Does anyone know of a plate with 2 or 3 insert rings which fit 1.5" guides?