Well it was time to give it a try.
Using an ogee vertical raising bit. Problem 1:
How do I set the fence?
Trial and error to get the correct edge thickness was very tedious and error prone. Is there a better way? I tried several tests and never got it quite right. Problem 2:
TERRIBLE tear out on the face of the raised panel surface on the cross grain cut!. Absolutely terrible
I attributed this to the need to have a zero clearance fence for the cutter.
Well how do I do that SAFELY? I did it by sliding the sub fence on the infeed side into the cutter. You guys immediately know what happened. The cutter grabbed the subfence . . . WHAM! I had a zero clearance fit all right . . . but sure not safely! My first, totally inadvertent climb cut.
Fortunately the outfeed fence was firmly tightened and stopped the infeed section from becoming a projectile.
I trimmed the panel and tried the cross grain cut again, this time with the zero clearance fence. Much better. No tear out other than is to be expected at the edge of the cross grain cut. That was minimal, easily cleaned up by the cut with the grain. Problem 3:
$%^#@*& biscuits showed!
I think I can figure that one out by myself.
The first panel was a write-off. The second looks pretty good . . . but it is too loose in the rail and stile groove. I don't have the panel edge at the correct thickness yet.
PS: Disregard "they're" in heading. Should be "there." Can't edit subject apparently.