routing safely. - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
First Name: Ken
Posts: 69
 
Default routing safely.

I just made my first RT and my first project is to make a few picture frames.
The wood I'm using is 3/4" X1 1/2"X4' pine,I'm hesitant to route the 1.5" side since it's 4 foot long,I have no t-tracks on the table or the fence(both DIY) to attach featherboards.
How do I do these 4 foot long pieces safely?do I make my own guides and clamp them to the top and the fence?or should I first make the tracks add t-tracks,then attach a featherboard to the top and one on the fence?
I appreciate your help.
Ken.
distrbd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Ken

Just clamp a true 2 x 4 to the fence to hold the stock down and one to the top of the router table to keep the stock to the fence and use a push stick to get it by the bit safe..

====

Quote:
Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
I just made my first RT and my first project is to make a few picture frames.
The wood I'm using is 3/4" X1 1/2"X4' pine,I'm hesitant to route the 1.5" side since it's 4 foot long,I have no t-tracks on the table or the fence(both DIY) to attach featherboards.
How do I do these 4 foot long pieces safely?do I make my own guides and clamp them to the top and the fence?or should I first make the tracks add t-tracks,then attach a featherboard to the top and one on the fence?
I appreciate your help.
Ken.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Greg
Posts: 342
 
Default

I haven't tried it...but Derek posted this brilliant method a while back, and it seems like it would work well for what you are trying to do

Router Forums - View Single Post - Simple way to make small mouldings.

Greg
-------------------------------
gregW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
First Name: Ken
Posts: 69
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi Ken

Just clamp a true 2 x 4 to the fence to hold the stock down and one to the top of the router table to keep the stock to the fence and use a push stick to get it by the bit safe..

====
I just tried it and it worked like a charm,thank you for your easy solution I will try to do what GregW mentioned but your way was fast enough and did not involve cutting a groove in a straight piece of wood (and large enough to grab the stock piece tight),I will give a shot later.
Thank you both for great suggestions.
Ken.
distrbd is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Your Welcome Ken

Sometime the easy way is the best way

====

Quote:
Originally Posted by distrbd View Post
I just tried it and it worked like a charm,thank you for your easy solution I will try to do what GregW mentioned but your way was fast enough and did not involve cutting a groove in a straight piece of wood (and large enough to grab the stock piece tight),I will give a shot later.
Thank you both for great suggestions.
Ken.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Routing Template Verlin Garrett Jigs and Fixtures 16 08-17-2019 10:12 PM
Forum Suggestion Thread Mark Site Help and Suggestions 131 02-08-2015 10:33 AM
New to Routing and already lost!!! sarahrodgers New Member Introductions 10 01-01-2013 12:30 AM
Routing + Template Confusion prav1988 General Routing 8 05-27-2009 09:54 AM
Pattern Routing With Hard Wood -- Safely!!! richnj General Routing 8 12-20-2008 10:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome