Workbench - router table : connection dilemma. - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
matt1710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: New Zealand
First Name: Matthew
Posts: 233
 
Default Workbench - router table : connection dilemma.

I've got a dilemma at present : how to connect, with hinges, my router table top to my workbench top - and still permit the use of a my fence which I hope to clamp (rather than run in T-track) to the router table top.

I had intended to join the RT to the workbench using a piano hinge, to provide a solid, almost zero-movement connection. I understand that the RT needs to be vibration free, which could be an issue if I used hinges with any kind of play. However, I've been thinking : a piano hinge would mean the RT and workbench would sit almost flush to each other - meaning no room for the clamp which I'd need to secure that end of the fence to the RT. I thought of other options - normal 'gate' type hinges that would allow a gap to allow the clamp to slide in - 25mm is probably all that'd be needed - however was concerned that this gap and the type of hinges that would create it, would allow vibration in the RT.

Anyone have any clever ideas of how I can solve this dilemma?

I'd like to go with the hinged RT as I have very limited space in the workshop. The workbench is very solid with a 42mm top which overhangs the frame by 150mm. The RT is 36mm with laminate top/bottom, and pine edging. As mentioned above, I'd rather not route tracks for a T-track mounting fence - but if that's the only solution, that's what I'll do.

Matthew

PS - have attached a very rough sketch of it - have shown 4 separate hinges, but that could be any number.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf table.pdf (10.5 KB, 91 views)
matt1710 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
First Name: bill
Posts: 58
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1710 View Post
I've got a dilemma at present : how to connect, with hinges, my router table top to my workbench top - and still permit the use of a my fence which I hope to clamp (rather than run in T-track) to the router table top.
- maybe I am 'under-thinking' the problem here. But can't you just rotate the whole top 90 anti-clockwise and hinge the back of the table top ? That would leave the L and R edge to clamp to.

- no dimension size to the top on the sketch for the top, but most smaller tops don't seem to be a huge difference in F-B and L-R dimensions.

- must be some other driving force here I am missing for the tops orientation to the workbench?

- ebill
ebill is online now  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered User
 
darrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Darrin
Posts: 219
 
Send a message via Skype™ to darrink
Default

Just some quick thoughts. Probably not ideal solutions, but may lead you to other thoughts.

1. Would a T track in the top of the work bench be an option and clamp the other end of the fence?

2. I'm not sure how deep the router top is, but if you just used two hinges at each end, and space the RT and work bench apart the 25mm you suggested, would that give you enough distance front to back to route the largest piece you intend to route.

Is the pin part of the hinge going to protrude above the surface of the RT and workbench?

Like I said, probably not the ideal solutions, but may help your thought process. I'm sure someone will come along with some other ideas.


Darrin
darrink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

With limited space, I like the hinged RT idea - as long as the surfaces are precisely flush, the workbench becomes the outfeed table for the RT. That's handy. You'd just need to add some height adjustment to the outboard support legs on the RT, so you can be sure the surfaces are co-planar in use. You could also add a couple of blocks on the underside of both tables, so they could be clamped together (C-clamp or bolt/wing-nut) when the RT is up. That would eliminate the effect of any play in the hinges.

As to holding the fence in position, T-track is convenient, but not the only solution. Why not just add a flange to the back of the fence, drill/rout a slot for a through bolt on each side of the RT? You'd want elongated slots for the bolt on the fence flanges to allow flexibility in alignment. So-called star knobs (purchased or home-made) make adjustments easy. You could also rout a shallow dado on the bottom side to use T-bolts, so the head of the bolt doesn't turn. A thin strip of material, tacked in place, would keep the bolt from falling out.

- Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Barker; 12-24-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
First Name: downhill
Posts: 36
 
Default

How about this idea? Maybe a bit more than what you wanted but you can store it.

Stow-and-Go Router Table - Fine Woodworking Video

it just clamps to your work bench when you need it.
downhill is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered User
 
Cassandra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
First Name: Cassandra
Posts: 787
 
Default

Hi Matthew:

Another idea, if I may, is to make the fence L shape. Make short leg from the left end (in your PDF) to the back of the router table. This would allow you to clamp the left end in the upper left corner in your PDF image.

Cassandra
Attached Files
File Type: pdf matthew.pdf (2.0 KB, 95 views)

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
http://www.panoramio.com/user/5924351

Last edited by Cassandra; 12-24-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Cassandra is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
matt1710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: New Zealand
First Name: Matthew
Posts: 233
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill View Post
- maybe I am 'under-thinking' the problem here. But can't you just rotate the whole top 90 anti-clockwise and hinge the back of the table top ? That would leave the L and R edge to clamp to.

- ebill
This would be a great solution, however (not shown) in the illustration is the rear wall of my shed, which runs parallel to the fence, about 100mm behind the work bench's rear side.
matt1710 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
matt1710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: New Zealand
First Name: Matthew
Posts: 233
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrink View Post
Just some quick thoughts. Probably not ideal solutions, but may lead you to other thoughts.

1. Would a T track in the top of the work bench be an option and clamp the other end of the fence?

2. I'm not sure how deep the router top is, but if you just used two hinges at each end, and space the RT and work bench apart the 25mm you suggested, would that give you enough distance front to back to route the largest piece you intend to route.

Is the pin part of the hinge going to protrude above the surface of the RT and workbench?

Darrin
All good points - thanks! I don't want to put a T-track into the workbench - otherwise that would have been a solution. I'll have to consider the hinges impeding the position of the clamp. I think I'll be able to get some hinges and/or install them in such a way to avoid the pin part protruding.
matt1710 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
matt1710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: New Zealand
First Name: Matthew
Posts: 233
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
With limited space, I like the hinged RT idea - as long as the surfaces are precisely flush, the workbench becomes the outfeed table for the RT. That's handy. You'd just need to add some height adjustment to the outboard support legs on the RT, so you can be sure the surfaces are co-planar in use. You could also add a couple of blocks on the underside of both tables, so they could be clamped together (C-clamp or bolt/wing-nut) when the RT is up. That would eliminate the effect of any play in the hinges.

As to holding the fence in position, T-track is convenient, but not the only solution. Why not just add a flange to the back of the fence, drill/rout a slot for a through bolt on each side of the RT? You'd want elongated slots for the bolt on the fence flanges to allow flexibility in alignment. So-called star knobs (purchased or home-made) make adjustments easy. You could also rout a shallow dado on the bottom side to use T-bolts, so the head of the bolt doesn't turn. A thin strip of material, tacked in place, would keep the bolt from falling out.
Hi Ralph

Once again, some great ideas. I like the idea of clamping the two tables together to eliminate hinge play. I must say I don't understand what you mean about the flange on the back of the fence - so some further explanation would be great, as I'm sure it's another good idea!

Matthew
matt1710 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
matt1710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: New Zealand
First Name: Matthew
Posts: 233
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
Hi Matthew:

Another idea, if I may, is to make the fence L shape. Make short leg from the left end (in your PDF) to the back of the router table. This would allow you to clamp the left end in the upper left corner in your PDF image.

Cassandra
Hi Cassandra

That's a great idea - the best yet - although Ralph has a suggestion which I couldn't visualise, so hope that he can explain it to me. So far though, this is the one I'll go with if a better solution isn't proposed.

Thanks!

Matthew
matt1710 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem mounting Dewalt Router to Caftsman Table Saw apollo2000 General Routing 15 01-26-2015 02:30 AM
First Benchtop Router Table, get a plate or go bare? silentblackhat Table-mounted Routing 38 05-30-2012 02:30 AM
First and only (I hope!) Router table CanuckBeaver Table-mounted Routing 14 10-04-2010 05:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome