I started building my new router table this week, so I thought I'd post some pictures as I progress through the build. The original plan was for it to be attached to my table saw to save space in my small shop. That's still going to happen, but I modified it a bit from the original idea. Now it will be attached, but by removing a dozen bolts, it will become a free standing table. The top has four bolts through the cast iron extension of the table saw. I drilled holes in the cast, then drilled and tapped the top. Since it won't be carrying any weight, I opted for just tapping the wood and MDF rather than installing metal fasteners. The weight of the table will be carried by two poplar 1"x4" boards that are attached to the saw via four 1/4" x 1" aluminum straps. The table top sits on these boards which will also attach to the carcase with 5/16" bolts through the poplar and into tee nuts inside the cabinet. The cabinet will attach to the top with pocket screws. I had originally planned to attach to the fence guides with tee bolts, but doing so would have made removing the table from the saw nearly impossible, so the holes and slots in the bottom of the table will be for naught.
This will be sort of Norm's ultimate cabinet, but as you can see, I added a drawer below the router. The back will be open behind the router. I just haven't gotten to that yet. The area where the router will hang is 12" x 12" x 18". I'm sure this is smaller than Norm's, but it is about the same size as the area under my Craftsman aluminum topped router table. I never felt that was too small to get at the router when I needed to. Since I'll be installing a plate, the size should be even less of a factor. I had to squeeze this area because the width is restricted by my table saw dimensions. I wanted to have realistically sized drawers on the sides for bits, etc. The open area for the drawers is 5 1/4" wide, so though they will be narrow, they should be usable. This is just a dry fit at this point. I have a lot to do before any glue hits the wood. The good news is what I have so far seems to fit pretty well.
My wife picked the laminate for the top...big mistake! I guess it's "pretty," but pencil lines just disappear on it.
Oh, well, I guess there's masking tape.
I'll post more pictures in this thread as the project progresses. I tend to forget to stop and take pictures, so some of the steps went by without pics...sorry.