Template Bushings Guides Setup - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 8
 
Default Template Bushings Guides Setup

Ok Guys, You helped me tremendously getting my router insert plate drilled properly.
Now I have another issue that I can not seem to get past. I have the Bench Dog 40-102 Router Table (extension to my table saw). I mounted a Hitachi M12V2 router dead center on the Bench Dog Pro Plate insert thanks to your help. When a Bushing Guide is attached/connected to the Hitachi Router it is NOT flush with the router table surface. I am obvoiously missing something here. The Bushing Guide sits about 7/32" below the surface of the table. Do I need a different adapter for the router so that the 1 1/2" bushing guide sits higher and flush with the router table?

GaryB
GaryBirk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBirk View Post
Ok Guys, You helped me tremendously getting my router insert plate drilled properly.
Now I have another issue that I can not seem to get past. I have the Bench Dog 40-102 Router Table (extension to my table saw). I mounted a Hitachi M12V2 router dead center on the Bench Dog Pro Plate insert thanks to your help. When a Bushing Guide is attached/connected to the Hitachi Router it is NOT flush with the router table surface. I am obvoiously missing something here. The Bushing Guide sits about 7/32" below the surface of the table. Do I need a different adapter for the router so that the 1 1/2" bushing guide sits higher and flush with the router table?
Hi Gary - The bushing is attached to the router?? You should have an insert for your plate that will take the bushing. That's the whole point of centering the router to the plate. Pic would help.
1-1/2" bushing guide may be another issue, are those PC style bushings?
Good Luck.

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.

Last edited by jschaben; 04-12-2011 at 11:53 AM.
jschaben is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 8
 
Default

Thanks, thats what I thought I shoud be doing. The problem is Bench Dog included a plastic insert ring that is the same diameter as the bushings. The bushing cannot be attached to the plastic insert ring. If I order a blank plastic insert ring and drill it out, the Template Bushing will sit on top of the plastic insert plate? It will sit proud instead of flush.

GaryB
GaryBirk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Richard
Posts: 81
 
Default

Gary, I think this is the insert ring you need to use the guide bushings. rockler has it as well as others. But then it also sounds as if you have non standard size guide bushings.

29142 Insert for standard 1-1/4'' guide bushings, Standard Plate
Racer2007 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 8
 
Default

Thanks for the reply. What I have just found out from Bench Dog, is that they do NOT make a template bushing (1 1/4") opening insert ring for their Bench Dog Pro Plate. They refered me to Rockler, as you just did. The insert rings that I have are the standard Porter Cable set and a brass set from MLCS, Both 1 1/4".
Is it just me or does this seem odd that Bench Dog would not have an insert ring for template bushings when they make all these other great routing tools and accessories?

GaryB
GaryBirk is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Gary

Some call the 1 1/4" guides and the PC type the same thing ,they are all made the same way ( 1 3/8" ) but called the Porter Cable type, they do make bigger ones that are called OP or Lee Valley type that are ( 1 /1/2" ) that are better because they all come with a 1/4" long stem unlike the PC type..

==========






Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBirk View Post
Thanks for the reply. What I have just found out from Bench Dog, is that they do NOT make a template bushing (1 1/4") opening insert ring for their Bench Dog Pro Plate. They refered me to Rockler, as you just did. The insert rings that I have are the standard Porter Cable set and a brass set from MLCS, Both 1 1/4".
Is it just me or does this seem odd that Bench Dog would not have an insert ring for template bushings when they make all these other great routing tools and accessories?


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0091.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	43360  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 04-12-2011 at 05:29 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBirk View Post
Thanks for the reply. What I have just found out from Bench Dog, is that they do NOT make a template bushing (1 1/4") opening insert ring for their Bench Dog Pro Plate. They refered me to Rockler, as you just did. The insert rings that I have are the standard Porter Cable set and a brass set from MLCS, Both 1 1/4".
Is it just me or does this seem odd that Bench Dog would not have an insert ring for template bushings when they make all these other great routing tools and accessories?

I think it may be one of those "religious" issues. There are those who like to do upside-down (hidden) template routing on their tables, and those who feel doing so is a bad idea. Apparently, BenchDog (now owned by Rockler) is in the latter group.

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

I get my tips from the real router Pro's Bob R. and Rick R. of the RWS and they use the upside-down template way on the router table with a brass guide in the router table.


=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
I think it may be one of those "religious" issues. There are those who like to do upside-down (hidden) template routing on their tables, and those who feel doing so is a bad idea. Apparently, BenchDog (now owned by Rockler) is in the latter group.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6520a.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	43393  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6516a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	43394  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6516.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	43395  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 04-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi

I get my tips from the real router Pro's Bob R. and Rick R. of the RWS and they use the upside-down template way on the router table with a brass guide in the router table.


=========
The nice thing about router-related woodworking, Bob, is that there is plenty of room for different folks to put their own spin on the subject. (router-pun intended, of course). No need to sling mud (or wood chips) in my direction, though. My comment was from the perspective of a neutral observer. I don't claim to be a pro, much less a "real pro".

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

Sorry but if you put down Bob or Rick the hair on back will come up real quick,,No mud coming your way, Bob R. and Rick R. are so good it will blow your mind, I have been a fan for a very long time..

=======

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
The nice thing about router-related woodworking, Bob, is that there is plenty of room for different folks to put their own spin on the subject. (router-pun intended, of course). No need to sling mud (or wood chips) in my direction, though. My comment was from the perspective of a neutral observer. I don't claim to be a pro, much less a "real pro".



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 04-13-2011 at 03:28 PM.
bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bosch 1615 & template guides? TomHudson Guide Bushings and Templates 19 10-21-2016 02:23 AM
Porter Cable 55160 Omnijig Review Echonav Tool Reviews 19 06-21-2015 03:59 AM
Looking for some advice on buying template guides Bonehead V.2 Guide Bushings and Templates 9 08-28-2009 10:08 AM
Routing with the aid of Template guides template tom Guide Bushings and Templates 8 12-09-2008 10:25 AM
Hitachi M12V template guides? vwmowery General Routing 6 09-01-2006 12:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome