Which router table? - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ggroofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: philip
Posts: 46
 
Default Which router table?

HI , i am quite new to 'routing' and have only used my 1/4" makita router for some simple jobs.According to most woodwork articles i've read the router table seems to be the way to get the most out of routing.I recently bought a 1/2" ryobi,the 1100w one at the cheeper end of the market with the intention of buying a bench top table also made by ryobi which was on sale at a local store...however when i got a good look at the table i was appalled at the quality and did not buy it! I have been looking at the Axminster table with the sliding table and am quite impressed however its only on the net and i havent looked at the article its self.Does anyone own one of these tables or can anyone advise me on the do's and don'ts of buying a table?,any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,(amature woodworker) gg roofer.
ggroofer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroofer View Post
HI , i am quite new to 'routing' and have only used my 1/4" makita router for some simple jobs.According to most woodwork articles i've read the router table seems to be the way to get the most out of routing.I recently bought a 1/2" ryobi,the 1100w one at the cheeper end of the market with the intention of buying a bench top table also made by ryobi which was on sale at a local store...however when i got a good look at the table i was appalled at the quality and did not buy it! I have been looking at the Axminster table with the sliding table and am quite impressed however its only on the net and i havent looked at the article its self.Does anyone own one of these tables or can anyone advise me on the do's and don'ts of buying a table?,any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,(amature woodworker) gg roofer.
Hi Phillip - Welcome to the forum
Probably a good job you passed on the Ryobi table. It doesn't sound much better than the one offered in the states. I've seen some that were turned into decent tables but not without significant rework. I hesitate to recommend any because I don't know what is available to you in the UK. The Bosch 1181 probably is which is a nice little benchtop. Another suggestion would be to make your own top and just clamp it to sawhorses or something when you need it.

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.
jschaben is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
First Name: James
Posts: 2,304
 
Default

You can make a quick table out of min material. Here is a couple of pics of a table made from 3/4" plywood on saw horses. Had to add 2x4 to take the sag out from the heavy PC router. I had to make some raised panels quickly for something I was working on. took about 20 min. & I was in business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	43711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick Router Table.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	43713  


James
Whittier, CA.

Have a nice & safe day!
jlord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ggroofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: philip
Posts: 46
 
Default passed on ryobi table!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Phillip - Welcome to the forum
Probably a good job you passed on the Ryobi table. It doesn't sound much better than the one offered in the states. I've seen some that were turned into decent tables but not without significant rework. I hesitate to recommend any because I don't know what is available to you in the UK. The Bosch 1181 probably is which is a nice little benchtop. Another suggestion would be to make your own top and just clamp it to sawhorses or something when you need it.
Hi John,thanks for the reply,...your not the first to say i prob' had a lucky escape not buying the bench top ryobi! apparently they used to make a better one.I must have a look at the Bosch you mentioned(have always been a fan of Bosch power tools).I have been looking at the Kreg bench top,you guys (U.S.A) make kreg don't you?...the new full size kreg with the new fence looks very tempting,although a lot more expensive over here in N.Ire.In the mean time I think I will have A go at making my own.I've heard you really need A powerfull 1/2" router for A good table,is this true?.Thanks Philip
ggroofer is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: John
Posts: 3,046
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroofer View Post
Hi John,thanks for the reply,...your not the first to say i prob' had a lucky escape not buying the bench top ryobi! apparently they used to make a better one.I must have a look at the Bosch you mentioned(have always been a fan of Bosch power tools).I have been looking at the Kreg bench top,you guys (U.S.A) make kreg don't you?...the new full size kreg with the new fence looks very tempting,although a lot more expensive over here in N.Ire.In the mean time I think I will have A go at making my own.I've heard you really need A powerfull 1/2" router for A good table,is this true?.Thanks Philip
Hi Phillip - Yes, Kreg is made over here and they do make a nice table. I don't know if they make a benchtop version though.
I large router is nice in a table but not particularly necessary. You can do a very nice job on a large variety of projects with the 1100 watt unit you have. You would need the big router if doing power hungry projects like raised panel doors with the large panel raising bits. On smaller jobs the large router will do cuts in 1 pass that a smaller one will require two or three passes which is also nice not particularly necessary.

John Schaben

The problem with experience is I usually get it immediately after I need it.
jschaben is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
First Name: James
Posts: 2,304
 
Default

Hi, Kreg does make a bench top model router table.

Amazon.com: Kreg PRS2000 Precision Benchtop Router Table: Home Improvement

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020...le/videos.aspx

James
Whittier, CA.

Have a nice & safe day!

Last edited by jlord; 05-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.
jlord is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered User
 
Ralph Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 2,001
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroofer View Post
Hi John,thanks for the reply,...your not the first to say i prob' had a lucky escape not buying the bench top ryobi! apparently they used to make a better one.I must have a look at the Bosch you mentioned(have always been a fan of Bosch power tools).I have been looking at the Kreg bench top,you guys (U.S.A) make kreg don't you?...the new full size kreg with the new fence looks very tempting,although a lot more expensive over here in N.Ire.In the mean time I think I will have A go at making my own.I've heard you really need A powerfull 1/2" router for A good table,is this true?.Thanks Philip
Making your own router table, IMHO, is the best way to go. Doing so allows you to design and build it to your own requirements. Take a look at the following thread for ideas:

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mo...ter-table.html

The size (power) of the router used depends on what you may be doing, as does the physical size of the table. Larger diameter bits require more power to drive. I used a 2 1/4hp router in a table for years without problems, but I was doing mostly edge-forming operations with small-diameter bits. I now have a 3 1/4hp router (PC 7518 variable speed) for greater versatility.

Note that some operations are easier (and safer) to do hand-held. So, you should anticipate some switching between table-mounted and hand-held for that reason. Eventually, you may want to dedicate a router to the table, just for convenience.

One reason for building your own table is that most of the commercially-available bench-top models are under-designed. Some are almost useless and/or dangerous to use. All should be clamped to the bench - you don't want it sliding across the bench as you work, but some designs make clamping difficult. Also, vibration is your enemy. So, vibration-damping weight is your friend.

- Ralph
Ralph Barker is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

I disagree with that one Ralph

Your 1st table should be one you buy off the rack/floor so to speak, ( like the one below) you will need it to make one of your own design..as far as the router for it select it for more than one job, the combo kits are great for that, one base for the table and one base for hand jobs..(Plunge base) don't by a tank router until you need a tank...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rout...h-Stand/T10432
==========

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
Making your own router table, IMHO, is the best way to go. Doing so allows you to design and build it to your own requirements. Take a look at the following thread for ideas:

http://www.routerforums.com/table-mo...ter-table.html

The size (power) of the router used depends on what you may be doing, as does the physical size of the table. Larger diameter bits require more power to drive. I used a 2 1/4hp router in a table for years without problems, but I was doing mostly edge-forming operations with small-diameter bits. I now have a 3 1/4hp router (PC 7518 variable speed) for greater versatility.

Note that some operations are easier (and safer) to do hand-held. So, you should anticipate some switching between table-mounted and hand-held for that reason. Eventually, you may want to dedicate a router to the table, just for convenience.

One reason for building your own table is that most of the commercially-available bench-top models are under-designed. Some are almost useless and/or dangerous to use. All should be clamped to the bench - you don't want it sliding across the bench as you work, but some designs make clamping difficult. Also, vibration is your enemy. So, vibration-damping weight is your friend.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097



Last edited by bobj3; 05-04-2011 at 11:23 AM.
bobj3 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Registered User
 
debbicot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: Ireland
First Name: Hugh
Posts: 13
 
Default

see reply from me regarding your post for kreg router table, hope it of some help to you.
Hugh
debbicot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build an economy table top and install a mounting plate Mike Table-mounted Routing 93 01-15-2016 11:52 AM
Problem mounting Dewalt Router to Caftsman Table Saw apollo2000 General Routing 15 01-26-2015 03:30 AM
Designing a new Router Table Julie Table-mounted Routing 25 04-16-2013 01:36 AM
Rigid Model R2900 Router Combo and Ryobi Model A25RT02 Router table bigdave720 Table-mounted Routing 12 04-05-2012 08:27 PM
Craftsman 2hp professional router table combo... Duane867 Table-mounted Routing 2 01-04-2010 12:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome