Router base/table screw patterns - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: N/a
Posts: 5
 
Default Router base/table screw patterns

Hi Everyone.

I recently bought a second hand, like new, General International table saw. The saw has a cast iron router table extension. This works great for my shop, as I do limited router table work, so it saves on room. My problem is the table has a 4 screw pattern for the router, all of my routers, Craftsmen, Porter Cable, and Makita, have a 3 screw pattern. I have searched everywhere I can think of, and only see 3 screw patterns.

The guy I bought the saw from had a Craftsmen router in the table. I had an opportunity to buy his router for $150, but I never thought at the time that I would have any issues with mine, plus the fact that I am not a fan of craftsmen tools.

Do you guys know of any routers with a 4 screw pattern that would fit in this table?

Thanks for the help!
kweagle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

The Old type Craftsman routers have 4 holes the newer Craftsman routers have 3 holes but it's not a big deal just pull off the black plate on your router and use it for the drilling template, plus you don't need the black plate on your router table.just put in a safe place so you have on hand if you want to switch out the router down the road..


===
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweagle View Post
Hi Everyone.

I recently bought a second hand, like new, General International table saw. The saw has a cast iron router table extension. This works great for my shop, as I do limited router table work, so it saves on room. My problem is the table has a 4 screw pattern for the router, all of my routers, Craftsmen, Porter Cable, and Makita, have a 3 screw pattern. I have searched everywhere I can think of, and only see 3 screw patterns.

The guy I bought the saw from had a Craftsmen router in the table. I had an opportunity to buy his router for $150, but I never thought at the time that I would have any issues with mine, plus the fact that I am not a fan of craftsmen tools.

Do you guys know of any routers with a 4 screw pattern that would fit in this table?

Thanks for the help!



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: N/a
Posts: 5
 
Default

I had considered that, but I would prefer to avoid drilling another set of holes in the table at all costs. The saw and table extension is less than 6 years old. Surely there is a manufacture that makes a router with the 4 hole pattern? Or am I being too optimistic?

I dont mind spending the money on a new router for the table, as the ones I have are not as powerful as I would prefer for a table.
kweagle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi

Many Mfg.make routers that come with the 4 bolt hole pattern but not in the same pattern to fit your table, no real standard for the hole patterns..
It's not a big deal to drill the holes out I have one router mounting plate that has 16 holes in it for diff.brand of routers so they can bolt right up to it.....


===

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweagle View Post
I had considered that, but I would prefer to avoid drilling another set of holes in the table at all costs. The saw and table extension is less than 6 years old. Surely there is a manufacture that makes a router with the 4 hole pattern? Or am I being too optimistic?

I dont mind spending the money on a new router for the table, as the ones I have are not as powerful as I would prefer for a table.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Retired Moderator
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 11,921
 
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike
Default

Because of the fact there is no standard for mounting holes number or spacing you will have to measure the hole size and the size of the pattern drilled in the table. Sears sold the Craftsman 26620 router which is a Bosch 1617 that was rebadged in Craftsman colors. The sub base plate on these routers attaches with 3 screws but when you remove the plate you reveal a 4 hole table mounting set of threaded holes. The Porter Cable 7518 uses a 4 hole pattern as well.

Mike
"Living in the D" (this means Detroit!)
"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"
Mike is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: N/a
Posts: 5
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Because of the fact there is no standard for mounting holes number or spacing you will have to measure the hole size and the size of the pattern drilled in the table. Sears sold the Craftsman 26620 router which is a Bosch 1617 that was rebadged in Craftsman colors. The sub base plate on these routers attaches with 3 screws but when you remove the plate you reveal a 4 hole table mounting set of threaded holes. The Porter Cable 7518 uses a 4 hole pattern as well.
Thanks for the info. The Porter Cable you mentioned appears to have the same hole configuration, and also looks to be a good router for a table mount.

The holes on my table are in a square pattern, at 3 9/16" apart (6" diagonal). Perhaps if someone has this router (or another with a 4 hole pattern) they could verify the distances on them?

If it is necessary, I would consider drilling a new set of holes, but would rather just get a router that fits the original set. Whatever router I put in the table, is going to be the router that stays in the table for good, so I am not too concerned about the ability to fit a variety of other routers in it.
kweagle is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: N/a
Posts: 5
 
Default

Correction.... Should have said 5" diagonal...
kweagle is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Steve
Posts: 51
 
Default

I have a similar router extension table on my tablesaw. The extension is removable. It sounds like you REALLY don't want to drill more holes in the table, so if Mike's idea doesn't work you might be able to try this: cut a piece of good, smooth plywood or MDF that will fit the underside of your extension table. In the wood drill out the hole pattern for your router and a large hole for the bits to extend upward through. Mount the router to the underside of the wood and attach the wood to the underside of the extension table by whatever means are convenient. Clamps are my first thought. Problems: the thickness of the wood mounting piece will reduce the distance your bits can extend upward through the top of the table. Also the wood mounting piece should be strong enough not to sag and fitted flat so that the router is at perfect right angles to the table. Steve B.
Steve B. is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: N/a
Posts: 5
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I have a similar router extension table on my tablesaw. The extension is removable. It sounds like you REALLY don't want to drill more holes in the table, so if Mike's idea doesn't work you might be able to try this: cut a piece of good, smooth plywood or MDF that will fit the underside of your extension table. In the wood drill out the hole pattern for your router and a large hole for the bits to extend upward through. Mount the router to the underside of the wood and attach the wood to the underside of the extension table by whatever means are convenient. Clamps are my first thought. Problems: the thickness of the wood mounting piece will reduce the distance your bits can extend upward through the top of the table. Also the wood mounting piece should be strong enough not to sag and fitted flat so that the router is at perfect right angles to the table. Steve B.
Thanks for the suggestion, it is a good tip. Two reasons why I would prefer not drilling a new set of holes. First being, I would like to have a more powerful router than the ones I currently have, for my table. If I am going to buy a router, it seems to only make sense to buy one that fits the table without modification if possible. Second reason, I do not really like the idea of more holes in the table than needed. It potentially reduces resale value, and with the routers I have, the hole placement would be rather close to the existing holes.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will likely look into an option like that before drilling a new set of holes.
kweagle is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 16,005
 
Default

Sounds like you're open to replacing your router. I suggest you take a sheet of paper and lay it on the existing mounting holes, then punch holes where the existing threaded holes are located. Then go shopping and compare the holes in the bases of the Bosch 1617 in particular, and other routers if necessary.

The more I do, the less I accomplish.
DesertRatTom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Router my way reible General Routing 21 12-08-2018 12:06 PM
Sort Members by City or Zip RJM60 Site Help and Suggestions 56 03-13-2014 06:40 PM
Dust Evacuation on Router Table Guitarman1 Table-mounted Routing 15 04-29-2013 02:51 AM
Grizzly G1035 Shaper vs Router Table GAVolunteer Table-mounted Routing 11 06-30-2010 07:35 AM
Router table or Plunge routing template tom Guide Bushings and Templates 15 04-14-2009 03:45 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome