Incra Offset Table Top or Woodpecker Offset Table Top - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Gareth
Posts: 77
 
Default Incra Offset Table Top or Woodpecker Offset Table Top

In my search for a router table, I had been really interested in solid phenolic tops because of the stability of the material. Then I found the Incra LS system and realized that I would need to get an offset router table top or build one. I cannot find anyone that manufactures a solid phenolic offset top.

I'm interested in the Incra 27"x43" offset top or the Woodpecker 32"x53" offset top. Both these are MDF cores with phenolic laminated to both top and bottom. I have wondered how well tops like these hold up to dampness, such as shops located in basements. Do tables of this sort hold up or how common are de-lamination issues?
DoItMyselfToo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Duane
Posts: 1,709
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItMyselfToo View Post
In my search for a router table, I had been really interested in solid phenolic tops because of the stability of the material. Then I found the Incra LS system and realized that I would need to get an offset router table top or build one. I cannot find anyone that manufactures a solid phenolic offset top.

I'm interested in the Incra 27"x43" offset top or the Woodpecker 32"x53" offset top. Both these are MDF cores with phenolic laminated to both top and bottom. I have wondered how well tops like these hold up to dampness, such as shops located in basements. Do tables of this sort hold up or how common are de-lamination issues?
My Woodpeckers top has been just fine for 18 years. I has occasionally been in damp enough conditions to rust cast iron tables tops. I personally have neve seen one delaminate. I think the bigger issue is having enough support under to prevent sagging, especially if you are mounting a large 3+HP router under it.

I have found that hand tools are the best choice when I want to make mistakes at a slower rate of speed.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Dmeadows is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Registered User
 
Shortslvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Fred
Posts: 260
 
Default

Have you thought about a de-humidifier? Just mentioning that because if you have enough moister to possibly do damage to that top there are probably other tools suffering. sometimes just keeping a fan running and air moving can be helpful. I know it doesn't answer the question.

I have the incra table, but I live in the high desert
Shortslvs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,063
 
Default

Here i go, changing the subject again, but why is your basement damp?
Unless that was just an offhand example?
Damp leads to mould and we now know how serious a health issue mould is.
Anyway that didn't help with your question...
DaninVan is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Registered User
 
cagenuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: South Africa
First Name: Hilton
Posts: 522
 
Send a message via Skype™ to cagenuts
Default

Didn't know there were solid phenolic tables available. I thought phenolic was just the special surfacing applied to some substrate.

In any case you could just make up your own table using phenolic covered plywood if you are concerned about the MDF substrate.
cagenuts is offline  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Registered User
 
Garyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Gary
Posts: 813
 
Default

I have a Woodpeckers table top that is also 18 years and it is in good condition. No problems with delamination. An MDF or MDO core is stable and not likely to be affected by moisture in the air unless you soak the material. Solid phenolic is available, you just have to search for a source. I found a company in Greenville SC that sold any color, thickness and etc you would want by looking on the internet. Sorry but I don't remember their name. I can tell you that the Woodpeckers table will be a heck of a lot cheaper. Most companies don't like to sell small quantities of the material unless they have some scrap pieces available.
Garyk is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered User
 
Big Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Steve
Posts: 501
 
Default

I also have the Woodpeckers table for more than a decade. No problems at all.

Steve
Richmond, Virginia
Big Steve is offline  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Gareth
Posts: 77
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmeadows View Post
My Woodpeckers top has been just fine for 18 years. I has occasionally been in damp enough conditions to rust cast iron tables tops. I personally have neve seen one delaminate. I think the bigger issue is having enough support under to prevent sagging, especially if you are mounting a large 3+HP router under it.
Dmeadows - thanks for your input. Just looking to get perspective and your 18 years gave plenty. I am planning to install the 3 1/4 horse Porter Cable, so I'll be sure to get some support under it. I've heard this from several sources.
DoItMyselfToo is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Gareth
Posts: 77
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortslvs View Post
Have you thought about a de-humidifier? Just mentioning that because if you have enough moister to possibly do damage to that top there are probably other tools suffering. sometimes just keeping a fan running and air moving can be helpful. I know it doesn't answer the question.

I have the incra table, but I live in the high desert
I have a dehumidifier and run it when needed, which really is not that often. I had heard about delamination issues here and there. I then resolved to get a solid phenolic top but when I settled in an Incra LS, that changed my plans a little.
DoItMyselfToo is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Gareth
Posts: 77
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninVan View Post
Here i go, changing the subject again, but why is your basement damp?
Unless that was just an offhand example?
Damp leads to mould and we now know how serious a health issue mould is.
Anyway that didn't help with your question...
No mold here but thanks for thinking of my health.
DoItMyselfToo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Benchtop Router Table, get a plate or go bare? silentblackhat Table-mounted Routing 38 05-30-2012 03:30 AM
Woodpecker Lift, Bench Dog Table snmhanson Table-mounted Routing 5 08-15-2011 01:47 PM
router table top delroy33 General Routing 18 07-30-2006 05:53 AM
Second Cedar Top Table GoonMan Show N' Tell 7 09-19-2005 11:43 PM
Sold: Router Table or Table Top -Sam- Woodworking Classifieds 10 01-29-2005 10:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome