First post here, but have been lurking a couple of months. I'm pretty new to woodworking too, and the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.
I've just purchased an Incra router table (24x32" combo 4, center mount, Wonder Fence) with the Incra/Jessem Mast-R-Lift II. Chose the Incra table for two reasons: the steel MagnaLOCK ring system modification to the standard Jessem lift, and the corner/leg extrusions for the table which have slots in them to allow you to box in the legs by just slipping 1/2" MDF panels into them "without visible means of support". So far I've added the sides and back, plus two shelves (no supports yet for the upper one, it's just wedged in so I can still move it). I plan to have a face frame and door(s) and drawers on the front, and a vertical on each side of the router for a dust collection box. And I have a Porter-Cable 7518 router which will be dedicated to this table (have Festool 1400 and 1010 for handheld stuff).
, I'll probably just be doing relatively simple stuff such a tongue & groove edging. Some day maybe I'll advance to dovetails. As far as building a cabinet, I'm looking for simple
, nothing too complex; the finished product just has to be functional.
While searching for previous threads on this, I've learned a lot (and will incorporate some ideas) from these threads (sorry, the system won’t let me post the URL’s, but there’s part of each listed):
My Router Table Cabinet Is Finally Done (BearLeeAlive - routerforums.com/show-n-tell/22795-my-router-table-cabinet-finally-done)
Custom router table cabinet for Incra LS positioner (frank230c - routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/22328-custom-router-table-cabinet-incra-ls-positioner)
Router Table for Incra LS Positoner completed! (Michael H - routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/16005-router-table-incra-ls-positoner-completed)
BTW, although this table is the smallest Incra table, I will probably add an LS positioner some day
. I realize that I'll have to add a long extension off the back to support this, but didn't want the larger (but narrower) table that would normally go with the LS.
1) The lift has 3-1/2" of height adjustment. The lower end of this range will set the position of the top shelf. How much range do I really need to provide for? How much clearance should I have between the shelf and the router in the lowest position? And how much clearance on each side of the router for a dust collection box?
2) I'll probably have about 16" left between the two shelves, so it seems I'll have room for three drawers (I was thinking of full width drawers, but see that some folks have pairs of drawers side-by-side). Would you vote for three 5" drawers, OR a 4", a 5", and a 6", OR ??? Or should I go for four shallower drawers?
3) Have NEVER done drawers before. There is a width of 22-7/8" between the legs. What width should the drawer boxes be (I'll probably "cheat" and have them made
)? Should the drawer fronts overlap the face frame (there's probably a proper term for this) or be flush?
4) What should I do with the area to each side of the central router box (approximately 6" wide x 9" high each side)? Doors or drawers? How many, what size? Should any doors (including the router access door) overlap the face frame?
5) Would it be worthwhile to add an "original Incra jig" as a positioner now?
Thanks in advance, Dick