Woodpeckers or Incra? - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: Australia
First Name: Andrew
Posts: 3
 
Default Woodpeckers or Incra?

Hi all,

I'm about to drop my cash on a fence system. I have a Triton TRI001 and plan to make large furniture (tables, desks, etc).

Which fence system would you recommend?

The Woodpeckers Superfence with the micro adjuster looks good and is cheaper. And seems less reliant on templates like the Incra (the furniture I want to build doesn't need the small joint patterns the Incra templates seem designed for).

But the Incra LS super system has the positioner which looks like a great way to get very accurate and repeatable cuts.

If anyone has experience with these fences, their quality, reliability and accessories, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks very much.
Andy Lee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lee View Post
Hi all,

I'm about to drop my cash on a fence system. I have a Triton TRI001 and plan to make large furniture (tables, desks, etc).

Which fence system would you recommend?

The Woodpeckers Superfence with the micro adjuster looks good and is cheaper. And seems less reliant on templates like the Incra (the furniture I want to build doesn't need the small joint patterns the Incra templates seem designed for).

But the Incra LS super system has the positioner which looks like a great way to get very accurate and repeatable cuts.

If anyone has experience with these fences, their quality, reliability and accessories, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks very much.
Andrew,
It might be hard to find anybody that has much experience with both fences. All I dan make reference to the Incra TS LS system and can say that it does that it is advertised to do. I love it. I cannot say that I have used in the application that you are talking about and so probably am not as much help as I would to be. All I can tell you is that I can't imagine you ever being disappointed in the Incra set up. Let's see what some of the other members have to say about the issue.


Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Wayne
Posts: 56
 
Default

While I don't have experience with the woodpecker fence, I do own the Incra fence. I had the Incra fence on my table saw, so added the wing on the saw and bought the super fence system. Changing over from router to table operations isn't bad, but it is one thing you do have to keep in mind when you are working. Sounds like you are using a dedicated table in which case, this isn't an issue. While I haven't spent any time doing the dovetails, the box joints on it are a godsend.

I love the fact that you can make repeatable cuts and if you want to join wood, there are micro adjustments for the split fence to do just that. I also like the high fence adapter that's included... overall I can't say enough good things about the Incra fence.
wbrisett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Jerry
Posts: 2,645
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
While I don't have experience with the woodpecker fence, I do own the Incra fence. I had the Incra fence on my table saw, so added the wing on the saw and bought the super fence system. Changing over from router to table operations isn't bad, but it is one thing you do have to keep in mind when you are working. Sounds like you are using a dedicated table in which case, this isn't an issue. While I haven't spent any time doing the dovetails, the box joints on it are a godsend.

I love the fact that you can make repeatable cuts and if you want to join wood, there are micro adjustments for the split fence to do just that. I also like the high fence adapter that's included... overall I can't say enough good things about the Incra fence.
Wayne,
I assure you that the dovetails are as easy and nice as the box joints, if you haven't tried them yet you are in for a pleasant discovery. I expecially like the corner post concept using dark wood for the corner posts and light colored wood for the main box.

Another issue that I really like on TS set up the ability to sneak up on cut a few thousands at a time until the fit is perfect. While you can set the fence very accurately it is not so easy to measure what is required for the cut by using a tape measure. Cutting only to what you can read on a tape measure is very rough compared to the capability of the LS system.

Like you, I can not say enouth about the Incra system.

Jerry
Jerry Bowen is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Moderation Team
 
Semipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
First Name: John_*
Posts: 6,444
 
Default

Greeting Andrew, I see you are a new member would like to welcome you to the forum

http://www.routerforums.com/attachme...ing-basics.pdf

Looking forward to your participation.
Filling out your profile to include (first name,tools and short bio is strictly (optional )but does help members to better relate to each other.
Thank You John
Semipro is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
First Name: Al
Posts: 428
 
Default

I also am a incra fan,own a ls25 system.As stated above,the offset capabitities of the wonderfence is handy as well as the fine adjustment features and the fact the dovetails and boxjoints are a breeze without aditional jigs.Anouter plus is the wonder fence has excellent throught the fence dust collection when working close to the fence.
al m is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,177
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Default

Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

What table are you going to use with the Triton?

I liked the micro-adjuster on the Triton table and fence.

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: Australia
First Name: Andrew
Posts: 3
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2170 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Andrew.

What table are you going to use with the Triton?

I liked the micro-adjuster on the Triton table and fence.
Hi James"

I was planning to buy a Prorouter table, add a Woodpeckers or Incra insert and make my own stand.

Is above the table adjustment on the TRI001 as good as everyone makes it out to be?

I'm also considering the Jessem mitre slide. Just need to decide between the jointing focus of the Incra or the more freewheeling Woodpeckers (maybe with a Leigh jig for joints).

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks all.
Andy Lee is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Official Greeter
 
jw2170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Australia
First Name: James
Posts: 18,177
 
Send a message via Skype™ to jw2170
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lee View Post
Hi James"

I was planning to buy a Prorouter table, add a Woodpeckers or Incra insert and make my own stand.

Is above the table adjustment on the TRI001 as good as everyone makes it out to be?

I'm also considering the Jessem mitre slide. Just need to decide between the jointing focus of the Incra or the more freewheeling Woodpeckers (maybe with a Leigh jig for joints).

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks all.
Yes.

James
Sydney, Australia
.

I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments.
I don't profess to know everything, and I may learn something new.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."




jw2170 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Official Greeter
 
old55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Australia
First Name: Ross
Posts: 6,554
 
Default

Welcome to the forum Andrew.

Ross,
Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia


Enjoy the knowledge of others that can be found within.

‘Members are requested to add a first name in their profile as we are a very friendly bunch here'.
old55 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much accuracy can you get from a $249 tablesaw(Ridgid Meets Incra) Glen L Tools and Woodworking 22 12-07-2017 01:26 AM
INCRA Engineers Quality Tools, but... almost there Tools and Woodworking 14 01-07-2013 11:23 PM
Router Lifts: Incra SWHD vs. Incra PRL-V2 Gato9 Tool Reviews 3 09-23-2011 06:14 PM
Router Lifts: Incra SWHD vs. Incra PRL-V2 Gato9 Table-mounted Routing 0 09-23-2011 09:17 AM
Router Lifts: Incra SWHD vs. Incra PRL-V2 Gato9 General Routing 0 09-23-2011 09:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome