Did I make a bad purchase - Router Forums
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 16,069
 
Default Did I make a bad purchase

Hi all . I recently ordered a general international router table which comes with there lift , fence etc, but now I'm doing more research and just seen reviews on the
jessem mast-r lift II , and am kinda kicking myself as I really like the idea of having a crank on the table to change the lift position.
I found a review on the jessem and it seems they had some bugs at first , like when they installed the blocks that held the router in place it distorted the carriage enough to cause binding on the rails . I'm assuming it's been addressed?
Btw I ordered a porter cable 75182 router for my general international table . It's just the motor , no base .
So should I suck it up and stay with the general , or try to kibosh the order and go with the jessem table ?
Thanks in advance , Rick

Being the dummy that I am I gave our windsor plywood dealer 400 bucks down towards the general router table . It takes them forever to get anything to bc , so maybe I can convince them to let me buy another general product so I can buy the jessem threw lee valley .
Or am I over thinking this whole thing ?

Last edited by RainMan 2.0; 05-05-2014 at 11:27 PM.
RainMan 2.0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Gareth
Posts: 77
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanMan1 View Post
Hi all . I recently ordered a general international router table which comes with there lift , fence etc, but now I'm doing more research and just seen reviews on the
jessem mast-r lift II , and am kinda kicking myself as I really like the idea of having a crank on the table to change the lift position.
I found a review on the jessem and it seems they had some bugs at first , like when they installed the blocks that held the router in place it distorted the carriage enough to cause binding on the rails . I'm assuming it's been addressed?
Btw I ordered a porter cable 75182 router for my general international table . It's just the motor , no base .
So should I suck it up and stay with the general , or try to kibosh the order and go with the jessem table ?
Thanks in advance , Rick

Being the dummy that I am I gave our windsor plywood dealer 400 bucks down towards the general router table . It takes them forever to get anything to bc , so maybe I can convince them to let me buy another general product so I can buy the jessem threw lee valley .
Or am I over thinking this whole thing ?
The General International Excaliber router table got top pick in FWW 2014 Tool Review. That being said, Jessem makes very fine products. If you really want the Jessem, then I would contact the dealer right away and tell him to cancel the order. You should get a refund without issues. By the way, how long ago did you order the General?
DoItMyselfToo is offline  
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Moderation Team
 
Semipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: United States
First Name: John_*
Posts: 6,468
 
Default

Hello Rick, really pleased to see you join the community, welcome to Router Forums!
Call buyers remorse,I think everybody goes through it, i'm sure we can find someone to Tell you that is no good and also find somebody to tell it great product. I know nothing about the table I believe the porter cable 75182 is good router, Rick if you are really uncomfortable with it you might try a change the order for your own piece of mind.

Looking forward to your participation.
Filling out your profile to include (first name,tools and short bio is strictly (optional )but does help members to better relate to each other.
Thank You John
Semipro is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Steve
Posts: 8
 
Default

Rick I don't know anything about the table and lift that you ordered, but I have a mast r liftII and I have had no issues like you described. I can crank it up and down with 1 finger, no binding, very smooth.
GunnerB52 is offline  
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,075
 
Default

Hi, Rick; welcome!
-Dan (Sunshine Coast, B.C.)
DaninVan is offline  
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 AM
Registered User
 
DaninVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
First Name: Dan
Posts: 14,075
 
Default

Hi, Rick; welcome!
Is this the table you've got on order?
General International Router Table [GEN-40200C] - $1,099.95 : KMS Tools & Equipment from Vancouver BC, Largest selection of tools in Canada
It has an above the table crank...I think I'm not clear on why you want the Jessem instead?

-Dan (Sunshine Coast, B.C.)
DaninVan is offline  
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered User
 
paduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 1,184
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro View Post
Hello Rick, really pleased to see you join the community, welcome to Router Forums!
Call buyers remorse,I think everybody goes through it, i'm sure we can find someone to Tell you that is no good and also find somebody to tell it great product. I know nothing about the table I believe the porter cable 75182 is good router, Rick if you are really uncomfortable with it you might try a change the order for your own piece of mind.
Very Well said John. Rarely does realization equal anticipation

Learning is an exciting adventure
paduke is offline  
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered User
 
Shortslvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Fred
Posts: 260
 
Default

I have a rule. When I buy something I stop shopping for it. Otherwise I always find something better or the same thing for less. Best to just stop shopping - less painful
MLP, billyjim, MSRiverdog and 1 others like this.

Fred Ritzendollar
Owner Ritzendollar Woodworking
CNC Router Service - Signs, parts, embellishments
1800BunkBed providing service from Springfield to Branson
https://m.facebook.com/bunkbedritz?r...f&notif_t=like
Shortslvs is offline  
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Forum Contributor
 
DesertRatTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Tom
Posts: 16,369
 
Default

I agree about stopping shopping once I buy something. Unless it just doesn't work, or the quality is just too low, I find myself happy in the end.
DesertRatTom is online now  
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Gareth
Posts: 77
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortslvs View Post
I have a rule. When I buy something I stop shopping for it. Otherwise I always find something better or the same thing for less. Best to just stop shopping - less painful
I definitely agree with this practice, though I must say that if you're really unhappy with the order, then contacting the seller ASAP is the best thing you can do. Waiting too long will only complicate the situation.

I actually first saw this unit at my local Woodcraft store around Christmas time. The total cost for the package, including the lift, cast iron top, fence, stand, dust collection and slide fence was $1099. The manager there told me that it was given top pick in FWW 2014 Tool Review. I looked it up in that review and sure enough, and FWW listed the price at $1100. So, I thought great. I went back about two weeks ago to look at it again. Now the price is raised to $1350. I was at first tempted but on second thought it is really overpriced at $1350 when compared to other very fine brand name table, lift, fence, stand combinations.

Last edited by DoItMyselfToo; 05-06-2014 at 11:32 AM.
DoItMyselfToo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Make a Raised Panel Door learnexperience General Routing 2 09-06-2011 09:39 PM
How to Make a Simple Clock Using Box Joints learnexperience Tools and Woodworking 2 08-15-2011 10:21 AM
How to Make a Table Base learnexperience Tools and Woodworking 0 08-11-2011 11:40 PM
How to Make a Pencil Box learnexperience Tools and Woodworking 2 08-10-2011 12:45 AM
How To Make a Box with a Box Joint learnexperience General Routing 7 08-07-2011 08:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome