Router lift / Something you have never seen - Page 3 - Router Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,864
 
Default

One suggestion for the clamp that holds the router motor Al. Instead of a bolt and nut use a threaded insert on the far side and a socket headed bolt on the near side, either hex or torx, with a hole in the side of the casing for a long T-handled wrench of the same to reach through. Much faster and easier than an open end wrench.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
PhilBa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Country: United States
First Name: phil
Posts: 1,046
 
Default

Threaded insert yes but if you look in the videos, Al uses ratcheting wrenches. I'd never seen them used before and went out and got a set (HF, fairly cheap but decent quality). That is by far the easiest solution. I use them all the time on my machines now and curse the designer that didn't leave enough clearance for them. Super fast to screw on or off a bolt or nut. They aren't perfect - they don't reverse, you flip them over to go the other way but a fantastic little invention. (one could argue that not having a reversing mechanism is a good thing - simpler, more reliable mechanism.)
PhilBa is offline  
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Al
Posts: 366
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryville Chuck View Post
One suggestion for the clamp that holds the router motor Al. Instead of a bolt and nut use a threaded insert on the far side and a socket headed bolt on the near side, either hex or torx, with a hole in the side of the casing for a long T-handled wrench of the same to reach through. Much faster and easier than an open end wrench.
Thanks Chuck. While working with my design partner, he had suggested the same. I worked hard in keeping the build down to as few operations as posible to make it as attractive to build as posible. So all the nuts and bolts required to set and adjust the lift, table, hold down clamps and stops are all done with a single wrench. 7/16".

I agree the socket head would be a nice clean look but threaded inserts can be a problem for some guys. And maybe not hold as well in plywood if the builder used a lesser quality.

Have you seen those blue cam lever clamps sold by Rockler? Cam Clamps - Rockler Woodworking Tools They are actually the best easiest solution and I will be sending out an update with these and ideas like yours to those with the plan. These clamps have a great deal of travel and power. I was not a believer until I did some testing on a few models. They also stay adjusted because they can't turn themselves loose. What do you think?

Thanks for your reply

Al
Biagio likes this.

The best things in life, aren't things.
Al B Thayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Al
Posts: 366
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBa View Post
Threaded insert yes but if you look in the videos, Al uses ratcheting wrenches. I'd never seen them used before and went out and got a set (HF, fairly cheap but decent quality). That is by far the easiest solution. I use them all the time on my machines now and curse the designer that didn't leave enough clearance for them. Super fast to screw on or off a bolt or nut. They aren't perfect - they don't reverse, you flip them over to go the other way but a fantastic little invention. (one could argue that not having a reversing mechanism is a good thing - simpler, more reliable mechanism.)
Right Phil and I love those wrenches. Thanks for chiming in. See my answer to Chuck. My design partner though the same as Chuck.

Hey a good tip for using the ratchet wrenches. After using it to tighten or loosen flip it before you lay it down to use again. It will be in the ready position to use and cuts down on the, Oops wrong direction tries.

Thanks

Al

The best things in life, aren't things.
Al B Thayer is offline  
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Registered User
 
papasombre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Venezuela
First Name: Alexis
Posts: 1,722
 
Send a message via Yahoo to papasombre
Default

Hi, Al.

This is a very simple and fantastic machine. Congrats.

We, woodworkers are everywhere!!!
papasombre is offline  
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Registered User
 
Badger2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Country: United Kingdom
First Name: Malcolm
Posts: 56
 
Default

Hi Al, That looks very interesting. My sn has a router, but no table and we have been considering the best way forward on this and your set up looks ideal.

I have only just joined, so will PM you later for more details if I may. Thanks for showing your videos.

Malcolm
Badger2 is offline  
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Al
Posts: 366
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger2 View Post
Hi Al, That looks very interesting. My sn has a router, but no table and we have been considering the best way forward on this and your set up looks ideal.

I have only just joined, so will PM you later for more details if I may. Thanks for showing your videos.

Malcolm
There are a few guys in the UK that have built my lift. When you finish yours post some pictures here.

Al

The best things in life, aren't things.
Al B Thayer is offline  
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,245
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

There is one major improvement that comes immediately to mind and that is to replace the chuck with a MUSCLECHUCK . These days even one spanner is one too many. A half turn of a 4mm Allen key is all that is required to lock/unlock a bit.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is online now  
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,864
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Thanks Chuck. While working with my design partner, he had suggested the same. I worked hard in keeping the build down to as few operations as posible to make it as attractive to build as posible. So all the nuts and bolts required to set and adjust the lift, table, hold down clamps and stops are all done with a single wrench. 7/16".

I agree the socket head would be a nice clean look but threaded inserts can be a problem for some guys. And maybe not hold as well in plywood if the builder used a lesser quality.

Have you seen those blue cam lever clamps sold by Rockler? Cam Clamps - Rockler Woodworking Tools They are actually the best easiest solution and I will be sending out an update with these and ideas like yours to those with the plan. These clamps have a great deal of travel and power. I was not a believer until I did some testing on a few models. They also stay adjusted because they can't turn themselves loose. What do you think?

Thanks for your reply

Al
I missed your reply Al. Sorry about that. The cam locks are an excellent idea. Easy to adjust for tightness, fast, and secure. A little more money for parts but for lots of people it would be worth it. Reid Tool (I think they changed their name to Essentra) carries a huge line of tooling and jig parts and might be cheaper.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: United States
First Name: Al
Posts: 366
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
There is one major improvement that comes immediately to mind and that is to replace the chuck with a MUSCLECHUCK . These days even one spanner is one too many. A half turn of a 4mm Allen key is all that is required to lock/unlock a bit.

If they were less fond of their mussel, maybe. $$$$$$$ But your right. Then again if you used a lift like this. You would have to have at least on bad aspect to it.

Al

The best things in life, aren't things.
Al B Thayer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making a Flat-Bottomed Candy Dish using a Router learnexperience Table-mounted Routing 2 12-09-2018 08:51 AM
New Router my way reible General Routing 21 12-08-2018 11:06 AM
Pro Phenolic Router Table, Fence, Stand, & FX Router Lift Kit DoItMyselfToo Table-mounted Routing 7 05-01-2014 06:16 PM
Router for table & maybe a lift cobragrover Table-mounted Routing 9 01-18-2012 05:22 PM
Hello DPugmire New Member Introductions 5 11-08-2010 06:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome