(Not a problem, just typical DeWalt) New DW618PK doesn't seems right.
Hi .. hope to get some input & recommendation from the group here ...
I received the DW618PK today which I bought new (not re-con) from an authorized dealer. Despite the labels on various places indicated that it is 2007 buit and was shipped to the dealer just last October, and the box is still zipped tied, the condition of the contents doesn't look "right" :
* the pastic bag supposedly to contain the hardware accessories is all wrinkled up, and in fcat, it just basically WRAPS around the items.
* The metal pin for the concentricity cone and the two collets are flying loose inside the box, no wrap, no bag....
* The metal pin for the concentricity cone looks different from the manual and from the pic on the web, it looks shorter than the picture suggested. The pin came with my set is just a 2" tall straight round pin with a small defect-looking dent on one end. (May I ask other DW618PK owners to please validate if this metal pin I have is same as yours? and indeed is what it supposed to be?)
* the extra Lexan plate is in a whitish thin plastic bag which already has some tears on it. It DEFIINITELY looks old.
* The general appearance of the routers/base/Lexan plates doesn't look "new-new" at all.
* the micro-fine adjustment ring BINDS at the lowest drop of the router, i.e. highest point toward towards the on/off switch. [B](Can someone validate that this should be expected when the router is new ?)[/B]
* the plunge base has VERY tight fit, I had to wiggle the router to get it installed into (and remove from) the plunge base.[B](Again, can someone validate that this should be expected when the router is new ?)[/B]
I am rather disappointed on what I see, I have spent approx an hour in local Lowes, toying between the DW618 with 1617EVSPK, and I decided to go with DW based on it's very smooth plunge, the easier micro adjust and the easier base changing .. and I like the column dust collection and the longer warranty, too. Generally it just felt better in my hands.
But what I have received today is as if a completely different product, the micro-fine adjustment ring binds, changing base is a struggle. But are these common to a BRAND NEW router set? That they are supposed to have a run-in period? My first router is a Bosch Colt, and I know that it is no-nonsense-NEW as I open the box.
Before I call the dealer to complain (and possibly to return), since I am a very newbie in router (and in woodworking) I just wanted to first validate with the experts here that I'm not over-reacting... Pls share you experience if this is not something I should expect from a brand new set.
Lastly, this gave me a second thought on DW618PK .. although I have several other DW tools (corded and cordless drills, and a 10" miter saw) and I am quite happy with them... am I just get unlucky this time and I should simply replace with another set? At $145 (after rebate) I really think that it is a very good price..... or should I change horse to pay more to 1617EVSPK but with just 1 year warranty? or may be the Milwaukee 5616-24 with 5 yrs warranty?
Last edited by Wagon Man; 12-09-2007 at 06:55 PM.