Good Morning John, Sorry about the delay, but we have been working on our learner flute.
We are making it out of Poplar, just a piece I had laying around here. I call it my learning wood.
We are routing out the two chambers (Slow Air Chamber and True Sound Chamber)to 3/4 inch Diameters and the blow hole is 3/8 inch. Each half of the flute blank will be routed to half of each of the afore mentioned measurements.
At this time we have completed all of the above and I have carved in the Slow Air Chamber Hole and True Sound Hole. The holes required most of yeaterday because there is a lot of file work to be performed. The flue was cut in using the Router and a bit we purchased at Woodcraft Store in Seattle the day before. I might be able to improve my time with my next practice flute. BUT. The faster I go the behinder I get.
This part of the flute is critical and needs a lot of love and attention.
By the way, after we had finished with both halfs, we clamped the two halfs together with my new clamps, installed a feditish with a flat smooth bottom and our first note out of this test flute was an F
, right on per our Digital Tuner.
Not bad for an old couple.
My wife wanted to seal the Chambers prior to assembly, some flute makers do not seal the Chambers but right now our preference is to seal it all.
So that is where we are at this time. More later.
I have some Photos as soon as I get them downloaded into my computer.