Bosch router table and router help - Router Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Country: United States
First Name: Scott
Posts: 20
 
Default Bosch router table and router help

I just bought the Bosch RA1171 router table and the Bosch 1617evs router, Trying to mount the router in the table HELP.
Does the sub base have to come off, cause I don't see that the mounting holes match up. Also the screws heads on the sub base look like there from mars. Some special tool to get these out?
Scott Falkner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 05:49 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,110
 
Default

torex on the screws or a straight tip...

remove the plastic base plate and there is a host of screw holes...
Bushwhacker and Scott Falkner like this.

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Registered User
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: David
Posts: 673
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
torex on the screws or a straight tip...

remove the plastic base plate and there is a host of screw holes...
I have the same set up. You have to remove the base plate as Stick said. Mine had star shaped screws. They are the same as the allen tool used to adjust the bit up and down.

When the enemy is in range, so are you.
Bushwhacker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Registered User
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: David
Posts: 673
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
I have the same set up. You have to remove the base plate as Stick said. Mine had star shaped screws. They are the same as the allen tool used to adjust the bit up and down.
Actually, after I sent this post, I went out to my shop and checked mine. The mounting screws are standard Phillips head, but never the less, as Stick said, get the base off and there are lots of mounting holes under it.
Scott Falkner likes this.

When the enemy is in range, so are you.
Bushwhacker is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Country: United States
First Name: Scott
Posts: 20
 
Default

Thanks, Next step get more lighting out there. I see that now.
MT Stringer likes this.
Scott Falkner is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:26 AM
CM1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Country: United States
First Name: Jack
Posts: 25
 
Default

I have the same Bosch RA1171 bench top cabinet.( Well ok older model of it but not much has changed in all these years) If your router does not have the above the table the table adjustment there is one for sale right now on Amazon. I have included the link. The base you will need if your's does not allow above the table. Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key. Link below. There is some where with in this site a PDF download on how to get the best use of the Bosch RA1171. found it http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/w...usdownload.pdf

The reason I would recommend that you get the Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key is that the door has a tendency to fall off on the RA1171 table. I have had my table for 11 years now and it has held up ok. I am just tired of fixing the door and it's weak hinge setup. Also be sure to use good dust collection for both at the table top and for the inside of the cabinet routing material will accumulate fast and may affect performance of your router and can lead to a fire if unchecked.

Here are some other issues I have had with the Bosch table: the fence boards; the screws (carriage bolts) will strip in the mdf. I recommend a little glue at the carriage bolt head and the mdf. As I stated earlier in this post my door hinges would pull loose after repeated opening of the cabinet for cleaning and router adjustment. The spacers on the feather boards are easy to loose. I keep a small box or tray with the table to keep them in when not in use. ( a zip lock bag works too.) The table track will only work with Bosch's feather boards. (unless Bosch has updated the table and from what I have seen on the specs on their website nothing has changed in all these years.) Do not get discouraged I have build several projects with this little table. 1 complete kitchen and 2 complete bath room vanity systems along with my sons bed room furniture.

After all these years I am finally upgrading to a larger table now that I am getting back into serious wood working again and will either hold onto this little table for small projects or give it to a fellow wood worker who wants to learn without the high cost a new table system.

link for the base , https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1165-...59NZ7ZBY8BQY9A
CM1 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Country: United States
First Name: Scott
Posts: 20
 
Default

Thanks everyone, Got it done. Made some practice cuts, Love the t handle height adjustment wrench on this setup. Made one mistake trimmed the fence facing up a little, live and learn. Bought a cheap set of bits that will do for now. Looking at them is hard for me to figure out what design they will make. Guess that will come with time and research.
tmyers likes this.
Scott Falkner is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 14,961
 
Default

Several bit manufacturer's websites will show a profile of of the finished cut as well as a picture of the bit. I know Amana is one of them. There can be a lot to learn by going through catalogs, especially Lee Valley's. I learned quite a bit by going slowly through theirs.
Scott Falkner likes this.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Country: United States
First Name: Scott
Posts: 20
 
Default Bits

Thanks Chuck, Yes I found some. I've realized also now that it has a lot do with the depth of cut, routing some sort of profile that is. Getting closer to figuring out just what I am going to make first. As you can tell I'm just starting out, got a lot to learn.
Scott Falkner is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered User
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: David
Posts: 673
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM1 View Post
I have the same Bosch RA1171 bench top cabinet.( Well ok older model of it but not much has changed in all these years) If your router does not have the above the table the table adjustment there is one for sale right now on Amazon. I have included the link. The base you will need if your's does not allow above the table. Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key. Link below. There is some where with in this site a PDF download on how to get the best use of the Bosch RA1171. found it http://www.woodworkingseminars.com/w...usdownload.pdf

The reason I would recommend that you get the Bosch RA1165 Under-Table Router Base with Above-Table Hex Key is that the door has a tendency to fall off on the RA1171 table. I have had my table for 11 years now and it has held up ok. I am just tired of fixing the door and it's weak hinge setup. Also be sure to use good dust collection for both at the table top and for the inside of the cabinet routing material will accumulate fast and may affect performance of your router and can lead to a fire if unchecked.

Here are some other issues I have had with the Bosch table: the fence boards; the screws (carriage bolts) will strip in the mdf. I recommend a little glue at the carriage bolt head and the mdf. As I stated earlier in this post my door hinges would pull loose after repeated opening of the cabinet for cleaning and router adjustment. The spacers on the feather boards are easy to loose. I keep a small box or tray with the table to keep them in when not in use. ( a zip lock bag works too.) The table track will only work with Bosch's feather boards. (unless Bosch has updated the table and from what I have seen on the specs on their website nothing has changed in all these years.) Do not get discouraged I have build several projects with this little table. 1 complete kitchen and 2 complete bath room vanity systems along with my sons bed room furniture.

After all these years I am finally upgrading to a larger table now that I am getting back into serious wood working again and will either hold onto this little table for small projects or give it to a fellow wood worker who wants to learn without the high cost a new table system.

link for the base , https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1165-...59NZ7ZBY8BQY9A
I noticed that that 42.99 price for the Bosch adjuster you sent the advertisement for is only for PRIME members and that will cost you an additional $99 a year. Good if you buy a lot of stuff from them I guess, but for a one time deal, not so much. But it did list some places that are cheaper.

When the enemy is in range, so are you.
Bushwhacker is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add router table with dust collector to your table saw pbriggs8 Project Plans and How To 16 06-03-2016 12:23 AM
Router Table for Incra LS Positoner completed! Michael H Table-mounted Routing 35 03-19-2015 01:40 PM
Yet another router table build ... JohnBFisher Table-mounted Routing 23 11-13-2014 12:33 PM
simple router table - attach vacuum hose to router box, or use Bosch dust adapter? achoox4 Table-mounted Routing 7 07-07-2014 05:01 AM
Will Bosch RA1171 table handle 3 1/2 HP router? LBrandt Table-mounted Routing 3 03-25-2007 11:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome