Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was glancing through an article on roundover bits and it mentioned using a 1/16" roundover bit to soften edges. I have usually done this with a just a fine sanding block. Should I get the 1/16" roundover bit for this?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I'd think the sanding method would suffice. I use the foam sanding blocks.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
give those edges to Gene...
he's the man w/ the plan...

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
But you know, Theo, sometimes it's just really pleasant to not have to listen to machinery; just enjoy the feel of working with your hands on wood. Maybe a little music in the background.
Could be that's the attraction of carving, to folks that do it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Veritas make a cornering tool that rounds over the corners to a fixed depth. It’s a simple set of hand tools for creating 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 round overs. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on an elegant solution if you weren’t aware that the tool existed.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32682&cat=1,230,41182,41200

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have one of those!......somewhere :(
You probably have a lot of things...somewhere...in your garage. And that's the problem. It's in the garage. I've seen the pictures.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
But you know, Theo, sometimes it's just really pleasant to not have to listen to machinery; just enjoy the feel of working with your hands on wood. Maybe a little music in the background.
Could be that's the attraction of carving, to folks that do it?
I did say normally. Depends on the project. But actually, the sound of the ROS is relaxing to me, more relaxing than knocking edges off by hand. Goes well with the classical music station my radio is kept on.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Now that you've seen the pictures Charles, you'll need to be liquidated... ;)

(Garage, toolshed, woodshed; pretty much all the same issue. )
we gonna have a shop (estate type sale)at pennies on the dollar prices...
I'm in...

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Get back on topic gentlemen

·
Registered
715 Posts
The Veritas cornering tools are more finicky than I expected. In hard splintery wood, the angle of the tool is critical, and can result in a fistful of splinters, or no cutting at all. A smooth rounding generally escapes me, but that is probably just me. My edges land up looking like goldilocks' porridge - full of lumps.
The little plane Stick referenced, would be a better bet, I think.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.