Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere already but... I have the Bosch colt. I'm having doubts that the correct collet came with my "factory reconditioned" unit.

Should the router bit slide easily all the way though the collet?

·
Official Greeter
19,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gary.

What brand of bits are you using? I find more inconsistency with the bits than with the collets. [especially the cheaper brands] Can you measure the bit shank?

Try the shaft of a 1/4" drill bit to see if that fits.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere already but... I have the Bosch colt. I'm having doubts that the correct collet came with my "factory reconditioned" unit.

Should the router bit slide easily all the way though the collet?
after the collet is opened past it's self releasing feature...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gary
Most palm or trim routers have a 1.4" collet. The bits should slide in and out fairly free as long as the collet is opened. Once you tighten the collet, it should hold the bit tight. I like the way James said to check it. Drill bits are made to a tight tolerance and this would be an excellent test.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
That's one of the things with Colt,if goes pass the point the collet will brake in to 2 parts..and will need to be replace..and yes the bit should fit all the way into the collet ,,to the cutters on the bit if bigger than the 1/4" shank.

===
after the collet is opened past it's self releasing feature...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.