Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 1/4" chuck adapter for my newly acquired Bosch 1200 router but I find that the collet won't clamp around my 1/4" shank cutters. As a newbie to routing I would appreciate advice as to why that might be. Am I running into the metric / imperial trap?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The metric/imperial might be the problem. You can find out for certain if you measure the bit shank diameters with a micrometer or a dial/digital caliper. Something that is graduated in mm or thousandths of an inch.

If you don't already have one, a digital caliper like the Wixey also shows fractions if you aw within .003" of a fraction. It can be switched from mm to imperial with just the push of a button too. I would not want to be without one in my shop. It can be used to measure board thickness, board length up to about 5", hole diameters, and hole depths very accurately.
About $40 US.

Charley

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,913 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The metric/imperial might be the problem. You can find out for certain if you measure the bit shank diameters with a micrometer or a dial/digital caliper. Something that is graduated in mm or thousandths of an inch.

If you don't already have one, a digital caliper like the Wixey also shows fractions if you aw within .003" of a fraction. It can be switched from mm to imperial with just the push of a button too. I would not want to be without one in my shop. It can be used to measure board thickness, board length up to about 5", hole diameters, and hole depths very accurately.
About $40 US.

Charley
Thanks, Charley. I need to put a new battery in my micrometer I think

·
Official Greeter
19,058 Posts
According to Axminster Tools this router comes with 1/4", 6 & 8mm collets and nuts also 8mm straight cutter ?

Check that you don,t have the 6mm collets set...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Axminster Tools this router comes with 1/4", 6 & 8mm collets and nuts also 8mm straight cutter ?

Check that you don,t have the 6mm collets set...
Thanks for that guidance but my problem is with the collet on the extension rather than that of the router. I should have made clear which collet did not fit. Problem was that extension shank clamps into router collet OK but the collet on the extension did not fit the 1/4" shank of my cutters.
Have now returned that extension and have since found one that fits into the router collet and has a collet that fits the shank of my 1/4" cutters so all is now OK. Part of my learning process I guess.
Thanks to all who offered helpful advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts