Router Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive been looking all over to find an adapter to convert my routers 1/4" collet to accept 1/2" bits. The router is a craftsman commercial router model number 315.17380, can anyone help me? Please don't sudjest a new router, this one still runs great..Thanks in advance, Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beast1961 said:
Hi, Ive been looking all over to find an adapter to convert my routers 1/4" collet to accept 1/2" bits. The router is a craftsman commercial router model number 315.17380, can anyone help me? Please don't sudjest a new router, this one still runs great..Thanks in advance, Rick
....................................................................................................
bud brambley said:
Hi you were looking for 1/2 collet. The house of tool's carries them
....................................................................................................

Hi and thanks for the reply, So your telling me I have to replace the 1/4" shaft with a 1/2"?? also are most shafts universally interchangable..will a 1/2" fit my 1/4" router?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have an older Craftsman commercial 1/4 router that I would like to convert to 1/2. I see nothing on the House of Tools website that I think would work? Is it possible to make this conversion?

Thanks,
Glenn.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Guys, the reason you don't find 3/4" round over bits with a 1/4" shank is the weight involved. Were you to use an adapter it would be steel and would have a steel collet and nut. Then you add a heavier 1/2" shank bit. See my point? Even if somebody made one I would not want to chance it. Don't forget this would also change the geometry of the bit location. You would have virtually no useable adjustment. My Craftsman Commercial was mounted to a Biskit adapter and kept there. Perhaps you might consider building one of the mortising or horizontal tables and dedicating your Commercial router to it? Safety first guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rick,

I sent an email to Sears Customer Support to find out about a 1/2 collet for your Craftsman router. The response I got surprises me. The person said that Sears does not have interchangeable collets for their routers. I didn't question that response but I find it odd that they don't have what you want. Sorry to be the one to give you that bit of negative news.

Bill

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Bill, most Craftsman routers don't use a normal collet and nut. They designed the shaft to accept 1/4" bits and the collet is formed onto the shaft end. This design is very practical for a couple reasons. You dont have to worry about seating the bit wrong as you do with a normal collet. You wont ever lose the collet, and I'm sure it is easier to learn with for beginers.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have the very same router I think..... I have to check the number but it sounds right, keep in mind I got mine in 1975 or 1976..... I check a while back about a new collet and found that the orginal one has now been replaced by a newer one and not a craftsman part. I think it was about $6.50 US but by the time they tacked the tax and HIGH postage I decided not to spend the money.... after all the old one still works.

Having said all that I think like it or not it is time for a replacement or addition router. I too got to the point where I was limited by the 1/4" and got my first Porter Cable 690. The old Sears one is listed as 1-1/2 HP as is the PC but the power difference was very noticeable in favor of the PC. After getting the new router I was sorry I waited so long.... it got my interest in routers going again and so it goes.

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
I bought the 1/2 inch collet for my 315.xxxxx and found that I had a phillips head screw inside at the bottom of the chuck to hold the router bit, that I could not get loose despite a large amount of liquid wrench and a weeks wait. I finally gave up and sent the collet back to sears. The price was reasonable but the shipping and handling charges were outrageous. I love my old 3 1/2 HP router but now that I know more, its uses are significantly reduced to freehanding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Delta6mike said:
Hello,
I bought the 1/2 inch collet for my 315.xxxxx and found that I had a phillips head screw inside at the bottom of the chuck to hold the router bit, that I could not get loose despite a large amount of liquid wrench and a weeks wait. I finally gave up and sent the collet back to sears. The price was reasonable but the shipping and handling charges were outrageous. I love my old 3 1/2 HP router but now that I know more, its uses are significantly reduced to freehanding.
I have the same router, but did you realize that the Phillips screw is a left hand thread. I'd always forget when switching collets.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am considering adding a 1/2 inch router to my collection, as I wood like to do some drawer and door moulding, and most of the bits are 1/2 inch. What is the consensus as to who provides the best combination of price and quality for a 1/2 inch router?

Thanks
Gerry

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Gerry, This question has many answers and they depend on how you want to use the router. If you want a table mounted router the Triton looks very good for about $220. If you want a combo kit so there is a fixed base to table mount and a plunge base for free hand routing my favorite is the Bosch 1617EVSPK. (Almost always top rated in comparison testing) The Bosch is about the same price. The simple truth is most brand names in the 2-1/4 HP range will perform very well and it is a personal choice as to which feels best to you. There is only one router I am not comfortable in suggesting, and that is the PC 890 series. This series of routers has problems. Some members got good units and are pleased with them but the lemon ratio seems to be about 40%! You will find information on this site about the struggle I had with PC over these routers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for your feedback Mike

I have been considering the Dewalt DW 621, at about the same price as the two you mentioned. It is a plunge router. How does this unit compare? Can a plunge router be locked for table use, or is a fixed base essential? I may be doing both type of operations, although I think for door panels, it is more likely I will be free handing with a guide. Currently I have a Craftsman fixed base 1/4 inch router, and a Black and Decker plunge 1/4 inch router.

Thanks

Gerry

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
The DW 621 is a good router Gerry . I have the DW 625 and the 621 is all the power I really would have needed. Yes you can lock the plunge while in the table. I would do as Mike suggested... get one of the 2 to 2 1/4 HP fixed and plunge base combos. That way you can mount the fixed base in the table and use the plunge base for hand work. The motor can then come out and fit into what ever base you want. There are lots of good ones. The DW 618 PK is a great one, the Bosch 1617 Combo is another good one as well. Sears has a new combo if you go to the craftsman website that is a combo that is well received here that goes for just over 100.00. A real deal.

Corey

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
As you can see, members who own the DeWalt routers are very happy with them. I have yet to use one of them, but I will when the chance arises. All the routers have subtle differences in the way they work, and while all perform well, you are the only person who will know which controls feel best to you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I will do some comparisons for features, and price before deciding which unit to get, but it seems like Rigid, Bosch, and Dewalt get the most votes.

Gerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.