Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I started using a brand new 1.5”mortising freud bit 1/2’’ shank. It broke within 1 minute of. Flattening a slab. In the picture you can see how little I was taking off, speed at 2 on this router is around 13-14000rpm, max rpm on bit is 16,000rpm.
Anyone have any issues with bits this large? I went back to my 3/4” bit and flattened the slab at max rpm -no issues.
Thanks,
Appreciate any responses

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,699 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
18,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Have not heard many complaints about Freud cutters...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone, appreciate it. Was wondering if I was doing something wrong, I think now I’ll take your advise and just try to get a new one on exchange.

·
Super Moderator
133 Posts
Edit: where did you buy the bit ? do you still have the receipt by chance ?

as mentioned, a better photo (on white paper) of just the bit and the broken part would be better to analyze. carbide itself is brittle - I have had big chunks break out for no reason. you could probably get a replacement from Freud for the asking.
(I think the carbide itself broke - not where it was brazed or welded to the shaft).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was defective I returned the bit and they were sold out to replace at the time, and ended up using a bit from lee valley.Freud bits are also a very hard steel which would make them more cuceptable to braking maybe? (I’m no expert) but have always had good luck in the past with all their bits, first time with one this size though, that’s why I thought I’d ask if it was maybe my fault before returning ( if it was my fault I would have never tried to return) but the lee valley bit did a good job flaying this slab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Freud and CMT are usually my go to, budget permitting. I had a similar issue while back with CMT. Sent in a photo to their CS department, they're reply was asking for my mailing address for a replacement to be sent.
I spent 25 years as a manufacturing engineer, errors occur sometimes......good luck

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Bits 1.5" diameter and over should be run on the lowest speed possible. This recommendation is from router manufacturers. (Check your owners manual) This comes from a lawsuit that author and late forum member Pat Warner testified at as an expert witness. The bit may be rated for higher speeds but that would be in an industrial machine, not a router.

Reactions: Rev. A and jw2170

·
Registered
Retired Engineer, Hobby woodworker
23 Posts
I had to inspect and analyze brazing issues often. When you get a new bit, inspect the braze area with a 5x (min) magnifying glass, 10x is better. There should never be any gap between the carbide and the substrate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts