Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a recommendation for a 1/8 end mill for cutting 1" hard and soft wood? Mostly be used for inlay work. Thanks.

·
Registered
Mike
3,841 Posts
Graham this is how I do cutting board inlays like this: Latest Inlay Project

If you really want to do this where the cat goes all the way through the cutting board then I would just cut each part like you would do an intarsia project and glue it up without the sculpting of each piece.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes, there's no reason to try to cut all the way through. Route 1/2" deep pockets and glue in 1/2" thick inlays.
You'll break a LOT of bits trying to cut 1" thick parts with 1/8" bits.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Graham this is how I do cutting board inlays like this: Latest Inlay Project

If you really want to do this where the cat goes all the way through the cutting board then I would just cut each part like you would do an intarsia project and glue it up without the sculpting of each piece.

I hope this helps.
Yes sir , I usually glue all my pieces on a mdf board then carve it with the cnc as a relief carving. Have to plot the pattern on the mdf so I know where to glue the pieces. Made a pen holder for the cnc machine.

Yes, there's no reason to try to cut all the way through. Route 1/2" deep pockets and glue in 1/2" thick inlays.
You'll break a LOT of bits trying to cut 1" thick parts with 1/8" bits.
For the cutting boards no but for intarsia I need at least 3/4 inch but am hoping for 1", can always laminate 2 pieces together I suppose. One thing I'd like to know which bit would be best for inlay? a single flute or double flute. spiral up cut or down cut or a straight double or single flute bit.

I'm ordering a spindle and wondering what you think of this one. RATTMMOTOR 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle Motor ER20 Kit + 2200W 2.2kw 220V Inverter VFD 3HP + 80mm Clamp Mount + 14pcs/Set ER20 Spring Collet for CNC Router Engraving Milling Machine: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement
Not the best I know but should be better than a router and it's one I can afford. Ordering extra imperial collets with it. like to order my bits at the same time.

Thank you gentlemen for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts