Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
I am just curious as to why you are interested in a 1" spiral bit?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
If you are really wanting a 1" spiral bit, be prepared to pay a very high price for them. Usually electricians and plumbers use these.

If you are wanting to drill a 1" hole, either use an expansion bit or spade bit. Now days, they make extensions for use with the spade bits.
Just my $0.02 worth :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have several box joint router templates for ½ - ¾ and 1” joints. I use the ½ with 5/8 collars and spiral down cut bit mostly because less blow out as apposed to straight bits. I was thinking about doing box joint on router table and didn’t want to use 1” straight bit but after looking at the prices of spiral bits, I guess I’ll stick to ½” spiral bits.
Thanks for the inputs.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I think I may have misread this. Sorry, this hasn't been a very good week.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a matter of expense. Spirals are made from carbide rods and it takes a LOT of grinding just to make a normal one with the same cut diameter and shank diameter. Add the extra grinding required to reduce the shank diameter and the cost of the bit shoots even higher. Also, at that diameter there are carbide tipped bits with shear angles that can produce similar results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.