Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colleagues: have an older Sears 10, ,72 tooth with 3 expansion slots, carbide blade that was re-sharpened about 10 years ago. Put it away and never cut with it the re-sharpening.

I can not recall if it was for a table saw or a radial arms saw. Had a radial arm and sold in the early 1980's to buy a table saw. And I recall having carbide blades for both.

How can I determine of the blade is for a table or radial arm? Fellow Woodworkers told me to measure the tooth angles. One said the blade angle makes no difference.

But how do I get an accurate reading off the outer edge and a tooth (or teeth)?

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Colleagues: have an older Sears 10, ,72 tooth with 3 expansion slots, carbide blade that was re-sharpened about 10 years ago. Put it away and never cut with it the re-sharpening.

I can not recall if it was for a table saw or a radial arms saw. Had a radial arm and sold in the early 1980's to buy a table saw. And I recall having carbide blades for both.

How can I determine of the blade is for a table or radial arm? Fellow Woodworkers told me to measure the tooth angles. One said the blade angle makes no difference.

But how do I get an accurate reading off the outer edge and a tooth (or teeth)?
Ray, you are smarter than I am,that is a good question. I would just put it on my table saw and if it cut OK, it would be a TS blade.
One reason the RA saw blade was sharpened at a different angle was to decrease the blade wanting to climb cut since a RA saw is pulled ,or fed the opposite of the way a blade should be turning to make a cut. But you know that. I might be wrong,once was, but it shouldn't make that much difference on a TS.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
here ya go Ray...
I'm surprised you aren't saving these PDF's...

Attachments

Reactions: MYB506

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
For a miter saw or radial arm the angle should be zero or negative. The are fine finish blades that have a 10 or 15* hook for use on the TS that have that many teeth and more.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
After SSK, Sticks School of Knowledge, I am pleased to announce that he taught me where to find them. And there is a ton of those little buggers I've been looking for a long time.
Herb

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
For a miter saw or radial arm the angle should be zero or negative. The are fine finish blades that have a 10 or 15* hook for use on the TS that have that many teeth and more.
Charles after reading through the pdf, it seems as though the negative angle blade for the RA saw will cut OK on the TS only you might experience a slower feed rate than with a regular TS blade.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Herb I did try one of my 60 tooth, -6* hook on the TS to test cut a small piece of melamine and it did work very well. I thought there might be a tendency for the piece to lift up with the negative hook but I didn't experience that. However, since I only tried it once and in a very limited test I am hesitant to recommend it to anyone yet.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 14 of 14 Posts